1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate 1/x = ln(x) vs ln(kx)

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    If [itex]k[/itex] is a constant, I know
    [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln(kx) = \frac{k}{kx} = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

However, what about [itex]\int\frac{1}{x}[/itex].
    I've been taught to use [itex]\int\frac{1}{x} = \ln(x)[/itex],
    but wouldn't [itex]\int\frac{1}{x} = \ln(kx)[/itex] work as well.
    And if this is true, there are an infinite number of integrals!?!?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2
    Oh god, I just figured it out, right after posting this. I swear I was confounded for hours before this.
    [itex]ln(kx)[/itex] works as well.
    [itex]ln(kx) = ln(x) + ln(k)[/itex] and the [itex]ln(k)[/itex] would cancel out in any definite integrals.
    But that would still mean there are an infinite number of indefinite integrals, which is a bit strange but perhaps possible.

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Well, yes!

ln(kx) = ln(k)+ln(x)

and since k is just some constant, then ln(k) is also a constant. Remember that when you take the integral, you have to add +c at the end to denote that you can add any constant to the result and still have a correct solution.

So

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx=\ln(kx)+c = \ln(x)+\ln(k)+c[/tex]

for any constant c, but since c is any constant, then we can merge [itex]\ln(k)+c[/itex] into a new constant, say, c2 which is the exact same result as if we left it as ln(x)+c to begin with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook