Integrate 1/x = ln(x) vs ln(kx)

In summary, if k is a constant, then the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, and the derivative of ln(kx) is also 1/x. This means that ln(kx) can be used as an equivalent to ln(x) in an integral, and there are an infinite number of possible indefinite integrals due to the addition of a constant. However, since ln(k) is just a constant, it can be combined with the variable c in the final solution, resulting in the same solution as if it were left as ln(x)+c from the beginning.
Billy.Ljm
If [itex]k[/itex] is a constant, I know
[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln(x) = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln(kx) = \frac{k}{kx} = \frac{1}{x}[/itex]

However, what about [itex]\int\frac{1}{x}[/itex].
I've been taught to use [itex]\int\frac{1}{x} = \ln(x)[/itex],
but wouldn't [itex]\int\frac{1}{x} = \ln(kx)[/itex] work as well.
And if this is true, there are an infinite number of integrals??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh god, I just figured it out, right after posting this. I swear I was confounded for hours before this.
[itex]ln(kx)[/itex] works as well.
[itex]ln(kx) = ln(x) + ln(k)[/itex] and the [itex]ln(k)[/itex] would cancel out in any definite integrals.
But that would still mean there are an infinite number of indefinite integrals, which is a bit strange but perhaps possible.

Well, yes!

ln(kx) = ln(k)+ln(x)

and since k is just some constant, then ln(k) is also a constant. Remember that when you take the integral, you have to add +c at the end to denote that you can add any constant to the result and still have a correct solution.

So

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx=\ln(kx)+c = \ln(x)+\ln(k)+c[/tex]

for any constant c, but since c is any constant, then we can merge [itex]\ln(k)+c[/itex] into a new constant, say, c2 which is the exact same result as if we left it as ln(x)+c to begin with.

1. What is the difference between "Integrate 1/x = ln(x)" and "Integrate 1/x = ln(kx)"?

The main difference between these two equations is the presence of the variable "k" in the second equation. This represents a constant value that is being multiplied by the variable "x". In the first equation, the natural logarithm function is being applied directly to "x", while in the second equation, it is being applied to "kx". This results in a different integration process and a different solution.

2. Can the constant "k" be any value in the equation "Integrate 1/x = ln(kx)"?

Yes, the constant "k" can take on any positive value in this equation. However, the integration process and resulting solution will vary depending on the specific value of "k".

3. How do you solve the equation "Integrate 1/x = ln(kx)"?

The process for solving this equation involves using a technique called substitution. This involves substituting a new variable, such as "u", for the expression "kx". Then, the equation can be rewritten in terms of "u" and integrated using standard integration rules. After integrating, the solution can be substituted back in terms of "x" by replacing "u" with "kx".

4. Can the equation "Integrate 1/x = ln(kx)" be solved using other integration techniques?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation using other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions. However, substitution is typically the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this type of equation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the equation "Integrate 1/x = ln(kx)"?

Yes, this equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model exponential growth or decay in populations or financial investments.