Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Integrate 1/(y+cos(x))^2 dx

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    First part of the question was to work out the integral [tex]1/(y+cos(x))[/tex] between x=0 and x=pi/2 by using the substitution [tex]t=tan(x/2).[/tex]
    Got this to be [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{y^2-1}}arctan(\sqrt{\frac{y-1}{y+1}})[/tex]
    The next question says HENCE find integral with the same limits of [tex]\frac{1}{(y+cos(x))^2}[/tex]
    Ive tried using by parts to maybe get something minus the first integral but i can't get it to work. This exam is known for being full of horrible questions so anything is possible here

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, but ##y## is a fixed number or is a function ##y(x)##?

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3

Math_QED

Homework Helper

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4
    y is just a fixed number the question says the answer to the integral is a function of y

6. Apr 23, 2016 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

ok, in the risolution you must treat ##y## as a number and try with the substitution ##t=\tan{\frac{x}{2}}##. You will obtain an integral that is the ratio of two polynomials in ##t## ...

7. Apr 23, 2016 #6

Ssnow

Gold Member

remember that ##\cos{x}=\frac{1-t^{2}}{1+t^{2}}##...

8. Apr 23, 2016 #7
    Thank you I get how the original integral i used now.I have two integrals with the first being twice the original and the second being
    [tex]\frac{2t^2}{(y+1)+t^2(y-1)}[/tex]

9. Apr 23, 2016 #8
    think ive got it, if i call the original integral Q so
    [tex](2-\frac{2}{y+1})Q+\frac{2}{y+1} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted