Integrate vector in rotating frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of navigation equations, which involve calculating the velocity of a vehicle in relation to a rotating frame on Earth. The velocity is expressed in terms of the frame centered on Earth and then integrated to determine the position in longitude, latitude, and height. However, there is a question about what happens when the velocity is integrated, given that the frame is rotating and the velocity is not in relation to that frame. There is a request for input from others on this topic.
Hare
Hi.
Ok, so I'm trying to understand the "navigation equations".

n: frame traveling on Earth with vehicle.
e: frame centered in earth, rotating with it.
P: Position of vehicle center of gravity.

v[itex]^{n}_{P/e}[/itex] = (vn,ve,vd): velocity of P w.r.t to e-frame, expressed in n-frame.

Normally you don't integrate this, but uses vn,ve,vd to calculate the derivative of longitude,latitude,height and then integrate these to get position in longitude,latitude,height.

BUT, my question is: what do you get if you integrate vn,ve,vd?

I mean, normally when you integrate vectors:
- the frame is fixed in space
- you have a velocity w.r.t this frame
- and you just integrate each component separately

But now
- the frame is rotating
- velocity is not w.r.t this frame

Any thoughts?

/Jonas

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. My only thought is I so wish some of the cognoscenti here would comment on your questions Hare. I suspect perhaps a few are brave enough to jump into this rabbit warren with no visible bottom. Certainly not I, but some answers here might be helpful on a related subject. Anyone?

1. What is a rotating frame?

A rotating frame is a reference frame that is moving and rotating with respect to an inertial frame. It is often used when studying systems that involve rotation or when the motion of an object is easier to describe in a rotating frame.

2. What is the importance of integrating vectors in a rotating frame?

Integrating vectors in a rotating frame allows for the analysis and description of the motion of objects in a rotating reference frame. It is essential for understanding the dynamics of rotating systems and predicting the behavior of objects in these systems.

3. How do you integrate vectors in a rotating frame?

To integrate vectors in a rotating frame, you can use transformation equations that relate the coordinates of the same point in both the rotating frame and the inertial frame. These equations take into account the rotation and translation of the frame and allow for the integration of vectors in the rotating frame.

4. What are some applications of integrating vectors in a rotating frame?

Integrating vectors in a rotating frame has many applications in fields such as mechanics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the analysis of rotating machinery, satellites and spacecraft, and celestial mechanics, among others.

5. What are some challenges in integrating vectors in a rotating frame?

One of the main challenges in integrating vectors in a rotating frame is dealing with the complexity of the transformation equations. These equations can become quite complicated for more complex motion and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. It is also essential to carefully consider the choice of reference frames and to ensure that all transformations are performed correctly to obtain accurate results.