Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating by parts in path integral (Zee)

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I have an exceptionally basic question, taken from P21 of Zee. Eq. 14 is

[tex]Z=\int D\psi e^{i\int d^4x(\frac{1}{2}[(\partial\psi )^2-m^2\psi^2] + J\psi)}[/tex]

The statement is then made that 'Integrating by parts under the [tex]\int d^4x[/tex]' leads to Eq. 15:

[tex]Z=\int D\psi e^{i\int d^4x[-\frac{1}{2}\psi(\partial^2+m^2)\psi + J\psi]}[/tex].

Now, I am being supremely thick, but I don't see how this follows. Could somebody please spell it out in small words?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    Consider the Green's identity equation (4) in the link which is basically a 3D version of integrating by parts:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GreensIdentities.html

and taking the surface integral to be zero implies that

[tex] \int dV \;\nabla \phi \nabla \psi = -\int dV \;\phi \nabla^2 \psi [/tex]

and so in this example, one can extend that to 4D and take the volume boundary term to zero

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

"Partially integrating" means here that you use partial differentation to rewrite the integrand.

Here the relevant term becomes

[tex]
    \int_{\Omega} \partial \phi \partial \phi = \int_{\Omega} \partial(\phi\partial\phi) - \int_{\Omega} \partial^2 \phi
    [/tex]

The first term on the RHS becomes

[tex]
    \int_{\Omega} \partial(\phi\partial\phi) = \int_{\partial\Omega} \phi\partial\phi
    [/tex]

by Stokes theorem. Imposing boundary conditions, this term vanishes.

5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    Aha yes. Thank you both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook