1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science

  1. May 22, 2015 #1
    Hi PF Family,

    I'm a rising junior majoring in physics. I plan to enroll and be accepted into graduate school(s) such as UIUC, Princeton, and MIT. I know that requires much work and hard work. However, my problem is in choosing the right program. I want to be able to integrate CMP and Materials Science. So, would I go earn a PhD in Experimental CMP only? Could I earn a Master's degree in Exp CMP then go on to researching a particular area in materials science while earning my PhD? What are my options?

    Thanks :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    You could just apply straight to a PhD program in physics or materials science. Some schools may also have applied physics (the schools you listed do not). I know people who have applied to different types of programs at different schools.

    The most important thing you can do to be accepted to these schools is to do great research, get outstanding letters, and excel in coursework.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook