Integrating ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere

In summary: I don't understand the meaning of ##\sigma(R).##In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to integrate an equation for a sphere with a constant and surface-area independent parameter, resulting in two different answers. The desired answer is given, but there is confusion about the value of the surface tension for a specific radius of the bubble. There is also ambiguity about the meaning of the A in the denominator of the equation.
MartynaJ
Homework Statement
Integral of ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere assuming a constant and surface-area independent ##\chi##
Relevant Equations
I am trying to integrate ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere. The answer is supposed to be ##\sigma(R)=\chi(R^2/R_0^2-1)##
I am trying to integrate ##\sigma=\chi\int\frac{dA}{A}## for a sphere. The answer is supposed to be ##\sigma(R)=\chi(R^2/R_0^2-1)##. The answer I keep getting is ##\sigma(R)=2\chi ln\frac{R}{R_0}##. I also tried doing it in spherical coordinates, and all I get for the integration of ##\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2}\frac{dA}{A}=1##. Not sure where I am going wrong... please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you show us how you obtained your answer.

Likes Abhishek11235 and Delta2
MartynaJ said:
Homework Statement:: Integral of ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere assuming a constant and surface-area independent ##\chi##
Is this all there is to the homework statement? If there is more, please post exactly as given to you.

Also, ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## is ambiguous. Is it ##\sigma=\chi\int{\dfrac{dA}{A}}## or ##\sigma=\chi\dfrac{1}{A}\int{dA}##? In the second interpretation ##A## stands for the area of the sphere, presumably of radius ##R_0##. Finally, it would help if you told us whether there is some physical meaning to ##\sigma(R).##

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
Is this all there is to the homework statement? If there is more, please post exactly as given to you.

Also, ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## is ambiguous. Is it ##\sigma=\chi\int{\dfrac{dA}{A}}## or ##\sigma=\chi\dfrac{1}{A}\int{dA}##? In the second interpretation ##A## stands for the area of the sphere, presumably of radius ##R_0##. Finally, it would help if you told us whether there is some physical meaning to ##\sigma(R).##

It's ##\sigma=\chi\int{\dfrac{dA}{A}}##. Also ##\sigma(R)## is the surface tension and ##\chi## is the stiffness of the spherical bubble (assumed to be constant).

MartynaJ said:
It's ##\sigma=\chi\int{\dfrac{dA}{A}}##. Also ##\sigma(R)## is the surface tension and ##\chi## is the stiffness of the spherical bubble (assumed to be constant).
I don't think any of us reading this understand what is meant by the A in the denominator. The dA in the numerator suggests an area element for an integral performed over the surface of a sphere, presumably of radius R, but then the A in the denominator would have to be a function of the chosen element.
From the answer you got, I am guessing you substituted ##A=4\pi r^2## in both places and treated at as an integral dr.

MartynaJ said:
According to the desired answer, ##\sigma(R_0)=0.## Why is the surface tension zero for a specific value of the bubble radius?

1. What is the significance of integrating ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere?

The integral ##\int{dA/A}## represents the surface area of a sphere, and when multiplied by the surface charge density (##\sigma##), it gives the total charge enclosed by the sphere. This is known as Gauss's Law and is a fundamental concept in electrostatics.

2. How do you derive the formula ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}## for a sphere?

The formula can be derived using the definition of surface charge density (##\sigma=\frac{Q}{A}##) and the formula for the surface area of a sphere (##A=4\pi r^2##). By substituting the latter into the former, we get ##\sigma=\frac{Q}{4\pi r^2}##. This can also be derived using Gauss's Law and the concept of flux.

3. Can this formula be applied to other shapes besides a sphere?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any closed surface, as long as the surface charge density is constant. However, for non-spherical shapes, the integral ##\int{dA/A}## may be more difficult to evaluate.

4. What is the physical meaning of the constant ##\chi## in the formula ##\sigma=\chi\int{dA/A}##?

The constant ##\chi## is known as the electric susceptibility and is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an electric field. Different materials have different values of ##\chi##, and it affects the value of the surface charge density for a given electric field.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula for calculating surface charge density?

Yes, this formula assumes that the surface charge density is constant over the entire surface. In reality, the charge distribution on a surface may not be uniform, and this formula may not accurately represent the true surface charge density. Additionally, this formula only applies to electrostatics and does not take into account any time-varying electric fields.