Integrating Using a Substituation

In summary, the student attempted to solve for pi/4 using the Sum-to-Product Identity for sin(a) + sin(b), but ran into trouble when flipping the limits of integration. A hint was given to use the substitution, u=\frac{\pi} {2}-x, which simplified the problem.
TyroneTheDino

Homework Statement

Use the substitution ##u=\frac{\pi} {2}-x## evaluate the integral ##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx##.

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\cos (\frac {\pi}{2}-x)=\sin x##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I start by plugging "u" into the equation making the function become

##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin( \frac{\pi} {2}-x)}{\cos(\frac{\pi} {2}-x) + \sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}##.

I substitute the sin x for the ##\cos (\frac {\pi}{2}-x)## because I know they are equal.

Then i have

##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}{\sin (x) + \sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}##

What comes next is a mystery to me.
I feel maybe I did not use the substitution in a correct way which is why am puzzled about were to go next.

I know that the answer is pi/4, but I'm not sure how to actually get there with substitutions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 8.16.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 8.16.23 PM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Use the substitution ##u=\frac{\pi} {2}-x## evaluate the integral ##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin x}{\cos x + \sin x}##.
I see two mistakes:
1) You are missing dx in the integral above. With your substitution, what is du?
2) It doesn't look like you have changed the limits of integration to account for the substtitution.
TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Equations

[/B]
##\cos (\frac {\pi}{2}-x)=\sin x##

[/B]I start by plugging "u" into the equation making the function become

##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin \frac{\pi} {2}-x}{\cos(\frac{\pi} {2}-x) + \sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}##.

I substitute the sin x for the ##\cos (\frac {\pi}{2}-x)## because I know they are equal.

Then i have

##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}{\sin (x) + \sin (\frac{\pi} {2}-x)}##

What comes next is a mystery to me.
I feel maybe I did not use the substitution in a correct way which is why am puzzled about were to go next.

I know that the answer is pi/4, but I'm not sure how to actually get there with substitutions.

I haven't worked out the problem, but you might try the Sum-to-Product identity for sin(a) + sin(b).

Mark44 said:
It doesn't look like you have changed the limits of integration to account for the substtitution.

Mark, the limits actually flip, but there's a negative from du. Flipping the limits back eliminates the negative.

ElijahRockers said:
Mark, the limits actually flip, but there's a negative from du. Flipping the limits back eliminates the negative.
I'm aware of that, but I'm not convinced that the OP is.

Likes ElijahRockers
Mark44 said:
I'm aware of that, but I'm not convinced that the OP is.

I incidentally made that choice to leave those bounds. I now know that now though.

ElijahRockers said:
I haven't worked out the problem, but you might try the Sum-to-Product identity for sin(a) + sin(b).

so for

What I have is
## \sin x+\sin (\frac{\pi}{2}-x)##

using the Sum to Product Identity

= ##\sqrt{ 2}\cos \frac {(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{2}##

Putting that into our integral would be:

##\int \frac {\sin (\frac {\pi}{2}-x)}{\sqrt{ 2}\cos \frac {(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{2}}\ dx##

=##\int \frac {\cos x}{\sqrt{ 2}\cos \frac {(\frac{\pi}{2}-x)}{2}}\ dx##

but then I am not sure about what my next substitution is...

Try to use the identity ## \sin(x)+\cos(x)= \sqrt{2}\sin(x+\pi/4)## and substitute u=x+pi/4. You get an easy integral in terms of u.

TyroneTheDino said:

Homework Statement

Use the substitution ##u=\frac{\pi} {2}-x## evaluate the integral ##\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx##.

Why stop there.

It's also true that ##\displaystyle \cos(x) = \sin(\frac {\pi}{2}-x)\ ## .

Make that substitution also.(It's integration by trickery.)

Likes ElijahRockers
ElijahRockers said:

ehild said:
Try to use the identity ## \sin(x)+\cos(x)= \sqrt{2}\sin(x+\pi/4)## and substitute u=x+pi/4. You get an easy integral in terms of u.
I was doubtful regarding how clear I was in my previous post, even though Elijah "Liked" the post.

The above quoted posts both address evaluating the given definite integral in the usual way; that is, by using the Fund. Thm. of Calc. I , find an anti-derivative, then evaluate that at the upper lower limits of integration.

The hint given, to use the substitution, ##\ u=\frac{\pi} {2}-x \ ##, doesn't particularly aid in that regard.

What the instructor, or whomever posed the question, likely had in mind was the following.
Using that substitution to gives the following result:$$ \int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx=\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\cos x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx \ $$​
Adding the integral on the left with that on the right results in a very simple integrand as well as giving twice the desired result.

SammyS said:
Using that substitution to gives the following result:$$ \int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\sin x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx=\int_0^\frac {\pi}{2} \frac {\cos x}{\cos x + \sin x}dx \ $$​
Adding the integral on the left with that on the right results in a very simple integrand as well as giving twice the desired result.
Ingenious !

1. What is "Integrating Using a Substitution"?

"Integrating Using a Substitution" is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals. It involves substituting a variable or expression with a new variable in order to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use "Integrating Using a Substitution"?

You should use "Integrating Using a Substitution" when you encounter an integral that involves a complicated expression or variable. Substituting a simpler variable can make the integral easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable should be chosen based on the expression or variable within the integral that is causing difficulty. Choose a variable that will make the integral simpler, such as a constant or a trigonometric function.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using "Integrating Using a Substitution"?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the differential term along with the variable. It is also important to properly distribute and simplify the integral after substituting the variable. Additionally, check for any limits of integration that may need to be adjusted after substitution.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in "Integrating Using a Substitution"?

The best way to practice and improve your skills in "Integrating Using a Substitution" is to solve as many integrals as possible using this method. You can also find practice problems and tutorials online or in a calculus textbook. It may also be helpful to consult with a tutor or attend a calculus study group for additional support.