Why does integrating v^-2 give -1/v + 1/vi instead of -1/v + C?

  • Thread starter Thread starter atypical
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
atypical
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The integral from v=vi to v of v^-2dv = -3 integral from t=0 to t of dt


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am getting -1/v + C=-3t and the book is getting -1/v+1/vi=-3t. Not quite sure where they are getting 1/vi as I am getting C.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
atypical said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I am getting -1/v + C=-3t and the book is getting -1/v+1/vi=-3t. Not quite sure where they are getting 1/vi as I am getting C.

Your integral is from vi to v, so you can't really get C.

your integral on the left works out as

[tex]\left[ \frac{-1}{v} \right] _{v_i} ^{v} = \frac{-1}{v}- \left( -\frac{-1}{v_i}\right)[/tex]