1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an RC circuit using explicit euler

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi there. I have a simple RC circuit with a battery voltage of 10 V, R = 1 Ω, C = 1 F and a switch. I want to use the Explicit Euler (forward divided difference) to solve the equation and check for stability, rather than using a ODE. I am finding the equation for when the capacitor is fully charged and then the battery removed, standard situation etc.

2. Relevant equations

C. dv/dt + V(t)/R = 0 (loop equation for the circuit)

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I attempted to do was rewrite / rearrange the circuit in the form v(tnew) = v(told)(1 + a.Δt)n then check what value of t the equation would be unstable for.

dv/dt + V(t)/RC = 0

Rewriting dv/dt as (Vf - Vi)/Δt,

(Vf - Vi)/t + V(t)/RC = 0
    ... leads to

Vf = Vi - Δt/RC
    Vf = Vi(1 - Δt/RC) ----- equation 1

So a = -1/RC = -1, giving

v(t) = Vi(1 - Δt)
    v(t) = 10(1 - Δt)

For v(t) to be unstable, |1 - Δt| > 1 ∴ t should be 2sec or more.

However, logically speaking shouldn't the equation be unstable at values of t > 1 sec. Because if you plug Δt = 1 sec, the final voltage is always 0. Where have I made a mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mix up stable and good. Δt = 1 sec gives a stable solution all right !

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3
    OK for t = 1 sec, V is constantly zero which is still OK I guess, but for t = 1.1 sec, equation 1 gives -1V. This shouldn't be possible?

5. Oct 7, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you mean is: that isn't good. But it is still stable: V does not exceed any bound for growing t.
    [Iedit] I should correct that: the error does not exceed any bound.

6. Oct 7, 2015 #5
    So unstable would be if the final voltage kept increasing at some exponential rate, much higher than the original value of 10 V?

7. Oct 7, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Unstable is when the error can exceed any fixed bound. Doesn't have to be exponential.

8. Oct 7, 2015 #7
    Alright. Thank you so much for the quick response. :)

9. Oct 7, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that your differential equation has a very decently behaving analytical solution.

Perhaps that's why the gap between a 'good' Δt (*) and the unstability criterion is rather wide.
    [edit] I think that I have to withdraw that. No basis for such a statement, I suppose

(*) Just play around with excel and check that a 1 mV upper bound on the error requires Δt < 0.5 msec or thereabouts

PS I suppose with "a ODE" you mean some wrapped integrator that comes with your program ? (Not shrink wrapped, because then you might see that it could well be an explicit Euler too... :smile: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted