1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating w/o U-Substitution

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ∫y=e^(-2x^2)dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't recall any method for this. I know that the integral of e^x is e^x, but I know that in this case the integral would not be the same as the original function because the derivative of -2x^2 would be -4x. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Short answer: You can't evaluate that integral in the usual way.

Long answer: This is related to the Gaussian integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

which you should be able to see by making the substitution [itex]u = \sqrt{2}x[/itex] into your integral.

The indefinite integral of the function [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. There is a related function, called the error function, written as [itex]erf(x)[/itex], which involves a definite integral of the same function between finite bounds [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex]. Again, the error function cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, and is simply defined in terms of that integral.

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    definite integral of it can be evaluated between limits 0 to infinity by transforming to polar coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook