Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts difficulties

1. Aug 23, 2010 #1
    Just working through a problem Acheson's book (From Calculus to Chaos) if anyone knows it.. eq 8.6 in this book..

As he's working through the problem he makes the step of this:

[tex]
    m\int_{t_{1} }^{t_{2}} \left( \dot{y}_{\scriptscriptstyle A }\dot{\eta} - g\eta \right)\,dt
    [/tex] (1)

to

[tex]m\left[\dot{y}_{\scriptscriptstyle A} \eta\right]_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} -
    m\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left(\ddot{y}_{\scriptscriptstyle A} + g\right)\eta\,dt
    [/tex] (2)

... using integration by parts.

Now, I've been stuck on it for a little while and I can't really figure it out.. I tried 'taking out' the [tex]\eta[/tex] but had no luck, if anyone had any suggestions of what to let == dv and what to let == u in the formula it would probably sort me out!
    [tex]\int u\,dv = uv - \int v\,du
    [/tex]
    Thanks in advance! (ps. I can post further workings if necessary)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

He only did integration by parts on the first term in the integral, the [itex]\dot{y}_A\dot{\eta}[/itex] term. The [itex]g\eta[/itex] term was not integrated by parts. [itex]u = \dot{y}_A[/itex], [itex]dv = \dot{\eta}dt[/itex].

4. Aug 23, 2010 #3

sorry, my bad, although I probably wouldn't have realised if I looked at it for a full day! :redface:

thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook