1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by substitution for sin/cos products

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Ok so I might be doing something silly but I just don't understand what is going on here. So the integral:

i = ∫ sin x (cos x)^3 dx

First I say u = cos x. So du = - sin x dx.

So now I have i = ∫ - u^3 du. Which gives: i = -(1/4)u^4 or -(1/4)(cos x)^4. Easy.

But if I say u = sin x instead, this is what happens:

So du = cos x dx. And I say i = ∫ sin x (cos x)^2 cos x dx.

So I have i = ∫ u(1 - u^2) du or i = ∫ (u - u^3) du. WHAT.

Why am I getting two different answers?? Which one is right and why?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, it doesn't. It gives -(1/4)(cos x)^4+ C for any constant C.

You are not getting two different answers. The integral of "u- u^3" is (1/2)u^2- (1/4)u^4+ c which is equal to (1/2)(sin x)^2- (1/4)(sin x)^4+ c.

See what happens if you replace (sin x)^2 by 1- (cos x)^2 in that last formula.

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    Actually you get the same answer. In fact when you put [itex] u=\sin(x) [/itex] you get [tex]
    \int u-u^3\,du=\frac{u^2}{2}-\frac{u^4}{4}+c=\frac{\sin(x)^2}{2}-\frac{\sin(x)^4}{4}+c
    [/tex]
    now, if you work on the first result you got, you'll see that: [tex]
    -\frac{\cos(x)^4}{4}+c=-\frac{(\cos(x)^2)^2}{4}+c=-\frac{(1-\sin(x)^2)^2}{4}+c=\frac{\sin(x)^2}{2}-\frac{\sin(x)^4}{4}+\frac{1}{4}+c
    [/tex]
    The two results are the same because it is an indefinite integral and they differ by an arbitrary constant. It could also have been solved without substitution noticing that [itex] \cos(x)^2=1-\sin(x)^2 [/itex] and that [itex] D[f(g(x)]=f'(g(x)) g'(x) [/itex]

Didn't realise we replied at the same time, sorry

5. Sep 6, 2014 #4
    Oops! I forgot to put the constant of integration. And yeah I see now.. it was pretty silly haha. Thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook