Integration/Differentiation on abstract spaces

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Abstract
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining a theory of integration in abstract spaces and the use of measures in this context. The idea of using the Borel Algebra of X as a measure is mentioned. The conversation also mentions the definition of homology in J.Rotman's homological algebra book and the issue of defining derivatives in spaces without a norm. The possibility of defining derivatives using the Gâteaux derivative is mentioned, as well as the parallel approach to constructing the Lebesque integral on Banach spaces. The conversation also briefly mentions the need for a Riemannian metric for integration and a covariant derivative for differentiation.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, everyone:

I was wondering if it makes sense to define a theory of integration
in abstract spaces (i.e., spaces other than IR^n, or homeomorphs),
and, if so, how to do it (and wether we can then define a theory of
differentiation). If so, do we need to define a measure, and what
measure do we use? (with the theory of integration satisfying
"reasonable" properties, like monotonicity, additivity, etc.,
similar to those of the Riemann integral, if not the Lebesgue integral.).
It would seem like the Borel Algebra of X would do the job for a measure, but I
am not sure.

This (together with a triple espresso) is what got me started :

I have been reading J.Rotman's homological algebra book.

In it, he defines homology as an equiv. class of curves C: X->IR^2,

X a top. space, and we consider functions f on X satisfying dP/dx=dQ/dy

(this seems strange to start with: can we define derivatives on X if X is

not at least a normed space? *) .

Specifically, two curves C,C' are equivalent, if :

Integral_ (C)f =Integral_(C')f ,i.e. , if Integral_(C-C')f=0 ,

where we define C-C' as a formal sum of curves:

Integral_(C-C')f =Integral_Cf -Integral_C'(f)

so -C' is the curve C' , with reversed orientation.

* Related to this issue, I was confused over a proof I saw of

the inverse function theorem, when we were working on a f.dim vector

space V/IR --not assumed to be a normed space. ( And, from what I

could tell, we were not giving V charts as a manifold thru :

(v1,...,vn)-->(f1,...,fn) , using the isomorphism between V and IR^n .

Can we define derivatives in spaces without having a norm?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A2teaux_derivative" derivative.

Integration on Banach spaces is a more delicate subject. There is however an approach parallel to the construction of the Lebesque integral.
A taste of it http://www.worldscibooks.com/etextbook/5905/5905_chap1.pdf"

(ps. no copyright infridgement)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do both. Integration requires a Riemannian metric, which allows you to define a volume form. Differentiation requires a covariant derivative, if you plan on going past the first derivative.

1. What is integration on abstract spaces?

Integration on abstract spaces is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve or the volume under a surface in a space that is not necessarily a traditional, Euclidean space. In other words, it extends the concept of integration from regular numbers to more complex spaces such as function spaces or manifolds.

2. How is integration on abstract spaces different from traditional integration?

Traditional integration deals with calculating the area under a curve or volume under a surface in a regular, Euclidean space. Integration on abstract spaces, on the other hand, involves extending this concept to more complex spaces such as function spaces or manifolds. It requires a different set of techniques and tools, such as measure theory and functional analysis, to perform the calculations.

3. What is differentiation on abstract spaces?

Differentiation on abstract spaces is a mathematical concept that involves finding the derivative of a function in a space that is not necessarily a traditional, Euclidean space. It extends the concept of differentiation from regular numbers to more complex spaces such as function spaces or manifolds.

4. How is differentiation on abstract spaces different from traditional differentiation?

Traditional differentiation deals with finding the derivative of a function in a regular, Euclidean space. Differentiation on abstract spaces, on the other hand, extends this concept to more complex spaces such as function spaces or manifolds. It requires a different set of techniques and tools, such as functional analysis and differential geometry, to perform the calculations.

5. Why is integration and differentiation on abstract spaces important?

Integration and differentiation on abstract spaces are important because they allow us to extend the concepts of integration and differentiation to more complex spaces, which are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They provide powerful tools for solving problems in these fields and have numerous applications in real-world situations.