1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Intuition for work between x1 and x2

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force F=bx3 acts in the x direction, where the value of b is 3.7N/m3. How much work is done by this force in moving an object from x=0.00m to x=2.6m?

2. Relevant equations
    W=F*D
    ∫undu = (u(n+1)/(n+1))+C

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know from previous problems that I'm going to integrate to find the area under the curve bx3 from 0 to 2.6 but I don't have the intuition as to why. I don't really understand why I'm doing this besides the face that I see a function raised to a power and not much more information is given. I'm following a pattern based on a pattern I see. I get that the force is changing in the y coordinate and that the x coordinate I'm worried about goes from 0 to 2.6 and I'm finding the area using integration but is the force a jerk because it's raised to the 3rd power, would it be acceleration if raised to the second power? I remember doing derivatives and thinking this. How did they come up with b? How did b come to be? What measuring device gives a reading like 3.7N/m3? I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions but I want to fully understand this.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

If you consider a force F moving its point of application an infinitesimal distance 'dx', then the work done within in this distance is dW = F dx

For the work done over the entire distance from x2 to x1

[tex]\int_{0} ^W 1 dW = \int_{x_1} ^{x_2} F dx \Rightarrow W = \int_{x_1} ^{x_2} F dx[/tex]

Graphically, this represents the area under the force-distance curve.

What could happen to get such a formula is that based on measuring force with distance, you could find that F∝x3 such that F= bx3. If you plot a graph of F against x3, the gradient would be 'b'.

To get what units 'b' would have, the units of the product of 'bx3' would need to be Newtons (N); x is in m.

so N = b*m3 such that b = N/m3. So you would not always have an instrument measuring something in N/m3 but you might be able to figure it out based on other data.

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3
    Thank you sir for your insight. What was that symbol you used after F? I've never seen it before. Also, what is a gradient exactly? Is it like a coefficient that changes? I've only had up to Calculus 2 so far.

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The ∝ ? I am not sure why it appears so small but it is the symbol for 'directly proportional to' so as one increases, the other increases by a set amount.

Gradient refers to a rate of change. In the straight line equation y=mx+c, the gradient would be equal to m. Such that the change in the distance y (denoted by Δy) divided by the change in the distance x (Δx) is equal to m.

Δy/Δx = m

For more information on a basic method on how gradient or slope is calculated, you can read here.

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5
    oh ok, I didn't realize that gradient was synonymous to slope. Thank you for the explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted