Integration of 1/(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter s0ft
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 15K views
s0ft
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
How do I integrate:
[itex]\int\dfrac{dx}{(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2}[/itex]
Multiplying and dividing by [itex]sec^4(x)[/itex] doesn't work, neither does substituting [itex]tan[/itex].
Any pointers would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use other trig identities to simplify the expression.

$$a^2\sin^2x + b^2\cos^2x = \cos^2x[a^2\sec^2x +(b^2-a^2)]\\ \qquad =a^2+(b^2-a^2)\cos^2x\\ \qquad = (a^2-b^2)\sin^2x + b^2$$

Also, consider similar triangles with the same angle x but different hypotenuses ... one has hypotenuse ##a^2## and the other ##b^2##

Can you sub ##u^2=a^2\sin^2x+b^2\cos^2x##

It's basically a matter of working through lots of things until you get a feel for the relationships.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Simon, [itex](a^2−b^2)sin^2(x)+b^2[/itex] did help move forward but now I'm stuck at [itex]\int \dfrac{1+t^2}{(a^2t^2+b^2)^2} dt[/itex] And though I may be able to continue on from here trying this and that, isn't there a shorter way?
 
The actual problem from where this stemmed out was this btw:
[itex]\int_0^\pi\dfrac{x dx}{(a^2sin^2(x)+b^2cos^2(x))^2}[/itex]
If it could've been solved without of all this, please tell me how.
 
s0ft said:
Thanks Simon, [itex](a^2−b^2)sin^2(x)+b^2[/itex] did help move forward but now I'm stuck at [itex]\int \dfrac{1+t^2}{(a^2t^2+b^2)^2} dt[/itex] And though I may be able to continue on from here trying this and that, isn't there a shorter way?
Have you tried partial fractions?