Integration of an equation relating to electrostatics

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving integrating a second order nonhomogeneous differential equation with known constants or functions. The equation can be solved using a reduction of order if the variables on the right side do not depend on V. The equation can also be solved using Laplace's general solution for electrostatics and Laplace's equation. The conversation also discusses the possibility of solving the equation in spherical coordinates.
Lazy Rat

Homework Statement

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this problem I'm trying to solve.

I am trying to integrate this equation twice. I'm not really sure what to do with the right hand side of the equation.

Homework Equations

upload_2017-11-23_9-41-15.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The left side I am ok with i think,

dV/dr = A/r

Any help as to how to deal with the right hand side would be great.

Thank you

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-23_9-41-15.png
    upload_2017-11-23_9-41-15.png
    857 bytes · Views: 692
Physics news on Phys.org
Lazy Rat said:
dV/dr = A/r
Is that supposed to be the integral of the left hand side? I don't understand.
Lazy Rat said:
how to deal with the right hand side would be great.
How do the variables on the right depend on r?

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Is that supposed to be the integral of the left hand side? I don't understand.

How do the variables on the right depend on r?
Lazy Rat said:

Homework Statement

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand with this problem I'm trying to solve.

I am trying to integrate this equation twice. I'm not really sure what to do with the right hand side of the equation.

Homework Equations

View attachment 215481

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The left side I am ok with i think,

dV/dr = A/r

Any help as to how to deal with the right hand side would be great.

Thank you
This is 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation.above equation can be written as
V''+V'(1/r^2)=-ρf/εε°r

if we suppose that ρ,f are constants or known functions ##\rho(r),f(r)##, then the 2nd order linear nonhomogeneous and with no constant coefficients ODE I get is , by expanding the left hand side:
##V''+\frac{1}{r}V'=-\frac{\rho f}{\epsilon\epsilon_0}##.

Delta² said:
if we suppose that ρ,f are constants or known functions ##\rho(r),f(r)##, then the 2nd order linear nonhomogeneous and with no constant coefficients ODE I get is , by expanding the left hand side:
Yes your's equation is right i misscalculated

Likes Delta2
The equation can be solved by a reduction of order if, as post 4 states, ρ = ρ(r) and f = f(r) but not functions of V.

Delta² said:
Yes, but as rude man points out, if the variables on the right depend on r, not V, that is a retrograde step.

##-ρf / εε_0## relates to Poisson equation ##pf## is the free charge density and ##ε_0## is the permitivity of free space. So these can be taken as know constants on this occasion.
I am looking to achieve a general solution through integrating twice. With a similar equation for electrostatics and Laplace's equation I have ##{1/r} d/dr(r{dV/dr})=0## , then integrating once we have ##{dV} /{dr} = {A/r}## then twice ##V(r) = A {ln} r + B## .
So how can I solve this in a similar way regarding Poisson's equation?

Thanks for you input guys

Lazy Rat said:
how can I solve this in a similar way
In exactly the same way. Multiply out and integrate. What do you get?

BTW the given equation is the poisson eq. for cylindrical coordinates with no variation in θ or z.

@Lazy Rat, BTW the expression for ∇2V = -ρ/ε can also be compacted in spherical coordinates to
(1/r2) d/dr {r2dV/dr} = -ρ/ε
with solution proceeding in the same way haruspex pointed to in his post 9.

haruspex said:
In exactly the same way. Multiply out and integrate. What do you get?
So I get the same because the right side I treat as a constant. The answer is still the Laplace general solution ##V(r)= A~ ln (r)~ + B##
Is this correct?

rude man said:
@Lazy Rat, BTW the expression for ∇2V = -ρ/ε can also be compacted in spherical coordinates to
(1/r2) d/dr {r2dV/dr} = -ρ/ε
with solution proceeding in the same way haruspex pointed to in his post 9.

Thank you rude man, may try to tackle in spherical.

Lazy Rat said:
So I get the same because the right side I treat as a constant. The answer is still the Laplace general solution ##V(r)= A~ ln (r)~ + B##
Is this correct?
The right side IS a constant but when you integrate (twice in fact) that constant has an impact on the answer.
Do the solution step-by-step & we can show you where you went wrong.

Hi
Ok so first step is to multiply out.
Thus we have for ## \frac 1r \frac d{dr} (r \frac {dV}{dr})= \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## \frac 1r \times r + \frac 1r \times \frac {dV}{dr} + \frac d{dr} \times r +\frac d{dr} \times \frac {dV}{dr} =\frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## = 1+ \frac {dV}{dr^2} + \frac {dr}{dr} + \frac {d^2V}{dr} =\frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## = \frac {d^2V}{dr2} + \frac 1r \frac {dV}{dr} = \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
Is this correct for multiplying out the left side?
Thank you

Lazy Rat said:
Is this correct for multiplying out?
No. If you have an equation like y/x=z then multiplying out gives y=xz.

I see, I've epand the brackets not multiplied out.
## \frac d{dr} (r \frac {dV}{dr})= \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} r##
Is this correct?
Can the derivative terms such as ## \frac d{dr} ## be manipulated algebraically, and why is it ## \frac d{dr} ## and not ## \frac {dV}{dr} ## are these the same thing ?

All this is a dark room to me, you are shedding light, I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Lazy Rat said:
I see, I've epand the brackets not multiplied out.
## \frac d{dr} (r \frac {dV}{dr})= \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} r##
Is this correct?.
Yes.
You can immediately integrate that. Don't be distracted by the ##(r \frac {dV}{dr})## term. At this stage it is just some function of r. Think of it as ## \frac d{dr} F(r)= \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} r##

Lazy Rat said:
Hi
Ok so first step is to multiply out.
Thus we have for ## \frac 1r \frac d{dr} (r \frac {dV}{dr})= \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## \frac 1r \times r + \frac 1r \times \frac {dV}{dr} + \frac d{dr} \times r +\frac d{dr} \times \frac {dV}{dr} =\frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## = 1+ \frac {dV}{dr^2} + \frac {dr}{dr} + \frac {d^2V}{dr} =\frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
## = \frac {d^2V}{dr2} + \frac 1r \frac {dV}{dr} = \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ##
Is this correct for multiplying out the left side?
Thank you
Other than you need a - sign in front of ## \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ## yes, that is in fact the expanded version for the Poisson equation for cylindrical coordinates.

rude man said:
that is in fact the expanded version
Yes, but it is not "multiplying out", and it is not on the simplest path to solving the equation.

rude man said:
Other than you need a - sign in front of ## \frac {\rho f} {\epsilon \epsilon_0} ## yes, that is in fact the expanded version for the Poisson equation for cylindrical coordinates.
You previously solved the Laplace equation without this multiplying-out. Stick to what you were doing before, which was double integrating (1/r)d/dr{rdV/dr)} = 0. Just change "0" to "-ρ/ε". You'll get the same first two terms you did with the "0" plus you'll get a third due to the "-ρ/ε".

Last edited:
rude man said:
You previously solved the Laplace equation without this multiplying-out. Stick to what you were doing before, which was double integrating (1/r)d/dr{rdV/dr) = 0. Just change "0" to "-ρ/ε". You'll get the same first two terms you did with the "0" plus you'll get a third due to the "-ρ/ε".
We seem to be offering conflicting advice, but it might just be a question of terminology. I've started a conversation on which we can resolve this, one hopes.

haruspex said:
We seem to be offering conflicting advice, but it might just be a question of terminology. I've started a conversation on which we can resolve this, one hopes.
Having discussed it offline, it seems there was a misunderstanding. rude man agrees that the way is to multiply out in the sense of the step taken in post #16, not to expand the derivatives as in post #14.

Ok thanks for clearing up confusion guys

I think I may have got there, I have after multiplying out

## ∫ \frac d {dr}( r \frac {dV}{dr}) = ∫ - \frac ρ ε {r} ##

Integrating twice

## v(r) = A ~ ln (r) - \frac {ρ r^2} {4 ε} + B ##

Is this correct?

Thank you

Lazy Rat said:
Ok thanks for clearing up confusion guys

I think I may have got there, I have after multiplying out

## ∫ \frac d {dr}( r \frac {dV}{dr}) = ∫ - \frac ρ ε {r} ##

Integrating twice

## v(r) = A ~ ln (r) - \frac {ρ r^2} {4 ε} + B ##

Is this correct?

Thank you
Got it! But you have to append "dr" to both sides of your first equation & clean up the left side.

rude man said:
Got it! But you have to append "dr" to both sides of your first equation & clean up the left side.

Ah yes of course the dr, by clean up the left side you mean don't have the ## \frac d {dr} ## in the equation?

Thanks rude man

Lazy Rat said:
Ah yes of course the dr, by clean up the left side you mean don't have the ## \frac d {dr} ## in the equation?

Thanks rude man
When you add "dr" to the left side, two "dr's" cancel, leaving you with
d{r dV/dr} = r dV/dr + constant etc.
Like dy = y + constant.

Likes Lazy Rat
Wonderful, Thank you.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric fields and the interactions between electrically charged particles. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of stationary electric charges and their effects on other charges.

2. What is an equation relating to electrostatics?

One commonly used equation in electrostatics is Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two point charges. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is an equation related to electrostatics integrated?

To integrate an equation relating to electrostatics, we use techniques from calculus to find the electric field or potential at a given point. This involves finding the appropriate limits of integration and using mathematical methods such as integration by parts or substitution.

4. What are some real-world applications of integrating equations related to electrostatics?

Some examples of real-world applications of integrating equations related to electrostatics include designing electrical circuits, calculating the potential of a charged capacitor, and understanding the behavior of particles in a particle accelerator.

5. What are some challenges that may arise when integrating equations related to electrostatics?

One of the main challenges when integrating equations related to electrostatics is dealing with complex geometries and charge distributions. It may also be difficult to determine the appropriate boundary conditions for the problem, which can affect the integration process and the accuracy of the results.