Integration (terminal velocity)

In summary: Please use the template. And please explain what u is. And please state the exact wording of the problem.
kieran1black2
i have 4 equations that need to be integrated

1.) mg-kv-u=m*dv/dt

2.) mg-kv-u=m*v(dv/ds)

3.) mg-kv^2-u=m*dv/dt

4.) mg-kv^2-u=m*v(dv/ds)

**if it helps... the values are

m=3000
g=10
u= 172000

v changes so leave it as v

any help is good help

if those are finished can someone help me with the terminal velocity?
i think its when t --> infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
You know what would be really helpful? Using the homework template provided on this forum i.e.

1. Stating the *exact* wording of the problem. (I highly doubt that "integrate these four equations" is exactly what you were asked to do. That statement doesn't even specify what the equations should be integrated with respect to! Note that these are first order differential equations for v(t), and two of them are non-linear. Solving them is likely to be more complicated than merely integrating.)

2. *Showing what work you have done so far*. We aren't going to do your homework for you. That doesn't benefit you in the slightest. We can guide you in the right direction, so that you learn things for yourself (which is the whole point).

That having been said, I can see that you have equations saying that the net downward force on a (presumably falling) object is equal to the downward force of gravity minus the upward drag force and also minus some other mysterious force, "u". What is u? And what exactly is the problem you have been given to solve?

Terminal velocity is not the velocity as t --> infinity. This makes little sense, as the object is unlikely to keep falling forever. Terminal velocity occurs when the drag force becomes large enough to counteract the gravitational force. As a result, the net force on the object is then zero, and it cannot speed up any further. It continues to fall at this contant velocity...the terminal velocity.

Last edited:
1.) mg-kv-u=m*dv/dt

left side with respect to dv
right side with respect to dt

2.) mg-kv-u=m*v(dv/ds)

right side with respect to ds

3.) mg-kv^2-u=m*dv/dt

right side with respect to dt

4.) mg-kv^2-u=m*v(dv/ds)

right side with respect to ds

for question 4.) mg-kv^2-u=m*v(dv/ds)

i got (using the constant values

1/0.06*ln(|142000+0.03v^2|)=-1/3000*S+c

when S=0, v=1000

therefore c=200.921

-1/3000*S=1/0.06*ln(|142000+0.03v^2|)-200.921

when v=0, S=?

therefore S=9583.88 m

using this same method i need the others for 1.), 2.) and 3.)

I don't think you read all of my first post:

- you still haven't used the template

- you still haven't explained what u is

- you still haven't stated the exact wording of the problem*

- you still haven't really shown your work**

*Post #3 definitely isn't the original problem, because it makes no sense for 2 reasons:

a. One integrates with respect to v or t, NOT dv or dt. dv and dt are symbols used to denote integration with respect to v or t, respectively.

b. MORE IMPORTANTLY, you can't integrate the two sides of an equation with respect to different variables! Didn't this set off alarm bells in your head? It makes no sense. What you do to one side of the equation, you must do to the other (if you want the equality to hold true).

**When I say you didn't really show your work, what I mean is that you just wrote down the results of some integration operation, without putting in the steps that led to that result, making it impossible to determine what operation you carried out. (And substitution of the numbers really isn't helping in that regard. It makes it even harder to make heads or tails out of what you've done).

1. What is integration in the context of terminal velocity?

Integration in the context of terminal velocity refers to the mathematical process of finding the function that describes the velocity of an object as it falls through a medium, such as air or water. This function takes into account the forces acting on the object and allows us to calculate the object's terminal velocity.

2. How is integration used to find terminal velocity?

Integration is used to find terminal velocity by integrating the equation of motion for the object, which takes into account the forces of gravity, air resistance, and the object's mass. The resulting function will give us the terminal velocity of the object, which is the maximum velocity it can reach while falling through the medium.

3. Can integration be used to determine the terminal velocity of any object?

Yes, integration can be used to determine the terminal velocity of any object that is falling through a medium. However, the object must have a constant mass and must be subject to the forces of gravity and air resistance. Objects with varying mass or other forces acting on them may require more complex equations or numerical methods to determine their terminal velocity.

4. What are the limitations of using integration to find terminal velocity?

One limitation of using integration to find terminal velocity is that it assumes the object is falling through a uniform medium with a constant density. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the equations used for integration may not accurately account for all factors that affect an object's velocity, such as turbulence or changes in wind speed.

5. How does the shape and size of an object affect its terminal velocity?

The shape and size of an object can significantly affect its terminal velocity. Objects with larger surface areas will experience more air resistance, causing them to reach their terminal velocity at a lower speed. On the other hand, objects with smaller surface areas will experience less air resistance and reach their terminal velocity at a higher speed. Additionally, the shape of an object can also affect how air flows around it, further influencing its terminal velocity.