Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration with respect to the counting measure

1. Jan 14, 2012 #1
    I am struggling with convincing myself that if you equip [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex] with the counting measure [itex]m[/itex], the [itex]L^p[/itex] norm of measurable functions [itex]f: \mathbb Z \to \mathbb C[/itex] looks like
    [tex]
    \| f \|_p = \left( \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty |a_n|^p \right)^{1/p}.
    [/tex]
    I know that any function on [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex] is essentially just a doubly-infinite sequence of complex numbers [itex]\left\{ \ldots, a_{-2}, a_{-1}, a_0, a_1, a_2, \ldots \right\}[/itex], with [itex]a_n = f(n)[/itex]. But how does one get from the general definition of integrals of positive functions (which [itex]|f|^p[/itex] certainly is) to the sum that appears above?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you wish to prove that (if c is the counting measure)

[tex]\int fdc=\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(n)[/tex]

Let's do this in steps:

1) f is of the form [itex]I_{\{x\}}[/tex] (where [itex]I_A(z)=1[/itex] if [itex] z\in A[/itex] and 0 otherwise), then

[tex]\int f dc=\int I_{\{x\}}dc=c\{x\}=1[/tex].

2) f is of the form [itex]\sum_{k=-n}^n{a_k I_{\{x_k\}}}[/itex] (a finite combination of things in (1)). Then

[tex]\int fdc=\sum_{k=-n}^n a_k \int I_{\{x_k\}} = \sum_{k=-n}^n{a_k}[/tex]

3) If f is positive of the form [itex]\sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty} {a_k I_{\{x_k\}}}[/itex] (with [itex]a_k\geq 0[/itex]). Then we apply the monotone convergence theorem:

[tex]\int fdc= \sum_{k=-\infty}^{+\infty}{a_k}[/tex]

4) Finally, if f is integrable, then we can write [itex]f=f^+-f^-[/itex] and thus

[tex]\int fdc=\int f^+dc-\int f^-dc[/tex]

4. Jan 14, 2012 #3
    Yeah. Thinking about it using the monotone convergence theorem the way you did definitely seems like the best approach. Thanks, micromass.

By the way...if your measure space is [itex](\Omega, \mathcal P(\Omega))[/itex] (a set and its power set), isn't every function [itex]f: \Omega \to Y[/itex], where [itex]Y[/itex] is some topological space, measurable?

5. Jan 14, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, if your sigma-algebra is [itex]\mathcal{P}(Y)[/itex], then everything is measurable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook