Intensity and Interference of Light Beams

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand the relationship between intensity and interference in a physics assignment. The question asks for the ratio of maximum to minimum intensity in an interference pattern formed by two coherent light beams, one with four times the intensity of the other. The speaker is confused about how intensity is affected by changes in slit separation and is seeking clarification. Another speaker suggests that when coherent beams interfere constructively, their amplitudes add and intensity is proportional to the amplitude squared.
aiglosicicle
i have to do a physics assignment and i got stuck at this quesion hope u guys can help.

An interference pattern is formed on a screen by the superposition of two coherent light beams, one of which has four times the intensity of the other. What is ratio of maximum to minimum intensity in the pattern?

Something i find very hard to understand is how intensity is related to inteference. I know that when the waves interfere constructively intensity is max and vice versa, but other than that i don't understand how else intensity is related to interference... for example... like how is the intensity of the maximas affected when slit separation is increased.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe your question is in the wrong place, aiglosicicle, but nevermind. IMHO the question is easier than you think. Imagine you had two beams of the same unit intensity, creating an interference pattern. Then you add another three units of intensity to the second beam.

When coherent beams interfere constructively, their amplitudes add. Intensity of a beam is proportional to the amplitude squared.

What is the definition of intensity of light beams?

The intensity of light beams refers to the amount of energy that is transported by the light in a given area per unit time. It is a measure of the brightness or the strength of the light and is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m2).

How is the intensity of light beams calculated?

The intensity of light beams can be calculated by dividing the power of the light beam by the area that the light beam covers. Mathematically, it can be expressed as: Intensity = Power / Area.

What is the principle of interference of light beams?

The principle of interference of light beams states that when two or more light beams intersect, the resulting intensity at any given point is equal to the sum of the individual intensities of the intersecting beams. This can result in either constructive or destructive interference, depending on the phase difference between the beams.

What is constructive interference of light beams?

Constructive interference of light beams occurs when two or more light beams intersect and their waves align in phase, resulting in a higher intensity of light at the point of intersection. This can be observed as bright fringes in interference patterns.

What is destructive interference of light beams?

Destructive interference of light beams occurs when two or more light beams intersect and their waves are out of phase, resulting in a lower intensity of light at the point of intersection. This can be observed as dark fringes in interference patterns.