Single/double slit diffraction intensity

• Thread starter EF17xx
  • Start date

Homework Statement

SINGLE SLIT
Why does the intensity at maxima decrease further away from the central maxima in a single slit diffraction.

DOUBLE SLIT
Slit width:
Why is the intensity of a double slit interference pattern the same at each maxima. (constructive interference)
When the slit width is negligible

BUT NOT
when the slit width is not negligible.

2. Homework Equations

λ/b=sinθ
Intensity propoportional to Amplitude^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please explain using simple vocabulary/ terminology and examples/analogies as I sometimes get confused by very experienced physicists who assume I know what they're talking about. :) :)

Answers and Replies

Would also like to know why when slit separation is SMALLER the maxima are further apart.
I understand this is the case when simply looking at the formula. s=λD/d but could someone please put this into words for why it is like that.

Homework Statement

SINGLE SLIT
Why does the intensity at maxima decrease further away from the central maxima in a single slit diffraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please explain using simple vocabulary/ terminology and examples/analogies as I sometimes get confused by very experienced physicists who assume I know what they're talking about. :) :)
the single slit diffraction pattern and intensity distribution is a lab experiment and the intensity one observes is due to interference of diffracted rays. if you wish to understand it in detail
see
https://phys.libretexts.org/TextMap...ion/4.2:_Intensity_in_Single-Slit_Diffraction
and then proceed further.