1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intensity of light entering eye

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Hello all,
    I came across this question in mastering physics and simply could not solve it. I asked for the answer to the question and decided to move on.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are standing 1.7m from a 100-W lightbulb.

If the pupil of your eye is a circle 5.0 mm in diameter, how much energy enters your eye per second? (Assume that 5.0% of the lightbulb's power is converted to light.)

2. Relevant equations
    Energy of a beam of light =(Energy Density)(Volume):
    U = UEM(Area X Speed Of Light X Change in time)
    U = UEM(AcΔt)

Intensity:
    I = U / (AΔt) = UEMc

3. The attempt at a solution

I decided that the energy of the beam must be equal to 5% of the wattage of the light bulb.

U = (5/100)*100W
    = 5 J/s

I then found the energy density (UEM) by dividing U by volume (Area x distance from light source).

UEM = U / (AcΔt)
    = (5) / (Pi((2.5*10^-3)^2) x 1.7)
    = 149792.88 J/M^3

From this I derived the light intensity.
    I = UEMc
    = (149792.88) x (3 x 10^8)
    = 4.49 x 10^13 J/s

At this point I was completely lost. The intensity is simply too large and has exceeded the amount of energy the light bulb can provide. I tried following through to the answer by multiplying intensity by area of the pupil, but the number was still far larger than the energy provided by the bulb. I tried using 5J as the value of UEM, but that didn't give the answer either.

The answer I received from mastering physics was 2.7 microjoules. Please explain to me the concept, I think i've misunderstood it and my notes aren't helpful at all. I don't need a worked answer, just an explanation of how I've misinterpreted the question or concept. Thank you, I'm starting to think I'm not cut out for this, spent three hours on such a simple question.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    You wrote,

U = (5/100)*100W
    = 5 J/s

Let that power, call it P, fall uniformly on the inside of a sphere of radius 1.7m. What is the area of that sphere, call it A_s and call the area of your eye A_e. Those are the three numbers you have to deal with, P, A_s, and A_e. How should you combine those numbers to get the power in the eye, call it little p? You know little p will be much smaller then P and when you combine the numbers you must have units of power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook