Interacting Fermion System Commutation

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mathematical step in a problem involving interacting fermion systems. The person is following their notes from class but is stuck on a specific part where the final result is equal to -1 instead of 1. After discussing their logic, it is revealed that the mistake is in the sign conventions for Fermion operators operating on Fock states. The person is directed to equations 4, 5, and 6 in a provided resource to understand the correct calculation.
Xyius
Problem Question
My question isn't an entire homework problem, but rather for a certain mathematical step in the problem which I assume to be very simple.

The problem is dealing with interacting fermion systems using second quantization formulas. I am essentially following my notes from class for this problem and the part I am stuck on is this.

[tex]<0,0|a_{2 \uparrow} a_{1 \uparrow}a_{1 \uparrow}^{\dagger}a_{2 \uparrow}^{\dagger}a_{1 \uparrow}a_{2 \uparrow}a_{1 \uparrow}^{\dagger}a_{2 \uparrow}^{\dagger}|0,0>=-1[/tex]

My question is, why is this equal to -1?

Attempt at Solution
Here is my logic on how to evaluate this.

[tex]a_{1 \uparrow}^{\dagger}a_{2 \uparrow}^{\dagger}|0,0>=|\uparrow \uparrow>[/tex]
then
[tex]a_{1 \uparrow}a_{2 \uparrow}|\uparrow \uparrow>=|0,0>[/tex]
then
[tex]a_{1 \uparrow}^{\dagger}a_{2 \uparrow}^{\dagger}|0,0>=|\uparrow \uparrow>[/tex]
finally
[tex]a_{2 \uparrow} a_{1 \uparrow}|\uparrow \uparrow>=|0,0>[/tex]
Thus all together I get 1, not -1. Why is this equal to -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:
Here is my logic on how to evaluate this.

then
[tex]a_{1 \uparrow}a_{2 \uparrow}|\uparrow \uparrow>=|0,0>[/tex]
I believe the mistake is in the second equation above. There are sign conventions for Fermion operators operating on Fock states.

See equations 4, 5, and 6 here: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~kevin/teaching/6646/03spring/2nd-quant.pdf

Likes Xyius

1. What is an interacting fermion system?

An interacting fermion system refers to a collection of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) that interact with each other through physical forces, such as electromagnetic or strong nuclear forces. These interactions can significantly affect the behavior and properties of the system, making it a complex and challenging area of study in physics.

2. What is commutation in relation to fermion systems?

Commutation is a mathematical operation that describes how two operators (quantities that act on a mathematical object) interact with each other. In the context of fermion systems, commutation is used to describe how the quantum mechanical operators representing the fermions' position and momentum interact with each other.

3. What is the significance of commutation in studying fermion systems?

Commutation is essential in understanding the behavior of fermion systems because it provides information about the uncertainty and correlation between the position and momentum of the fermions. This, in turn, affects the system's overall energy and other properties, making commutation a critical factor in studying and analyzing fermion systems.

4. How is commutation used in theoretical models of fermion systems?

Commutation is used to define the commutator, which is a mathematical tool that measures how much two operators do not commute. This is then used to formulate theoretical models and equations that describe the behavior and properties of interacting fermion systems. The commutator is also used to determine the eigenvalues and eigenstates of the system, which provide important insights into its quantum mechanical behavior.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying commutation in fermion systems?

Yes, the study of commutation in fermion systems has practical applications in various fields, such as condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and nuclear physics. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of materials, design more efficient computing systems, and study the properties of atomic nuclei, among other uses. Furthermore, the concepts and techniques used in studying commutation in fermion systems have applications in other areas of physics and mathematics as well.