1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interacting forces/inclined plane problem

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1

fsm

I am having a promlem figuring the acceleration:

Figure shows a block of mass m resting on a 20 degree slope. The block has coefficients of friction mu_s =0.80 and mu_k =0.50 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 2.0 kg.

If this minimum mass is nudged ever so slightly, it will start being pulled up the incline. What acceleration will it have?

My equation I have is:

T-f_k-(mg*sin(theta))=m*a

where f_k=u_k*(mg*cos(theta))

I keep getting the answer wrong. Is it my formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Formula is looking good, real good. However, it can't be solved alone, since there are 3 unknowns (T, m, and a). You need a couple of more equations. How about an FBD of the 2 Kg mass after the nudge?? And, what can you conclude from the condition of the system BEFORE it was nudged??

4. Nov 16, 2006 #3

fsm

I know the tension and mass. I'm trying to figure out the acceleration. When I use the above formula I get a wrong answer.

5. Nov 16, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know the tension and how do you know the mass? Neither of them is given in the problem. Perhaps it is what you think you know that is leading you in the wrong direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?