1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two masses on an inclined plane with a massless pulley

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m resting on a 20 degree slope. The block has coefficients of friction mu_s =0.80 and mu_k =0.50 with the surface. It is connected via a massless string over a massless, frictionless pulley to a hanging block of mass 2.0 kg.

What is the minimum mass m that will stick and not slip?

If this minimum mass is nudged ever so slightly, it will start being pulled up the incline. What acceleration will it have?

2. Relevant equations
    T-f_k-(mg*sin(theta))=m*a
    f_k=u_k*(mg*cos(theta))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I completed the first part of the problem and determined that the minimum mass is 1.829 kg. I calculated the tension on the rope by multiplying the mass of the hanging block by 9.8. But when I plug these values into the equation I keep getting 2.76 m/s^2 which is not the correct answer. Is there something wrong with my equations or the tension value?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The tension in the rope is only equal to the weight of the hanging block if the objects aren't accelerating. You need to write the sum of the forces = ma for each object, where the sum of the forces includes the unknown tension T. Then you have two equations and two unknowns and you solve for T and a.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #3
    Do you mean like T-(u_k*(mg*cos(theta)))-(mg*sin(theta))=m*a?

5. Oct 4, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean something exactly like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?