Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction of Photon with water

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Dear all respected expert/collegues,

I'm setting out a photoelectrochemical cell. I'm facing problem to regulate temperature in my photoreactor durng reaction.

Can i just dip the photoreactor inside a big water jacket?
    But i wondering incoming photon or light supplied by my Xenon arc lamp become uncollimated after it pass through so many obstacles (consisted fo wall of water jacket which is fabricated flat quartz-made window, followed by flowing water that circulating inside the water jacket then strike onto window of quartz-made photoelectrochemical cell, and finally just reach my thin film inside the photoelectrochemical cell.

P/s advice me on this :-)

Thanks for your fruitful input

Jeff

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    What you can do with the photoreactor depends on it's design and what sort of reactions you want to take place.

Keeping it cool would normally involve immersing it in a water bath - or running coolant in tubes around (or through) it.

In general, a collimated beam remains collimated through a range of media provided the beam is narrow.
    Intervening material can attenuate and spread the beam ... depending on details not supplied.
    Since this is of concern, you should test your rig for it's performance and adjust your experiment design accordingly.

4. Jun 18, 2013 #3
    Hi Simon,
    Greeting to you! :)
    Yaya, you are right. The major concern is the attention matter due to hampering of the photon with intermediate medium before it strike into my sample. If use coolant, the transmission would be reduced significantly as good collant will have low transmission.

For "a collimated beam remains collimated through a range of media provided the beam is narrow", is it works for UV and visible light bc i tend to harness both of this light to excite my substrate.

However, really thanks for your inputs ;-)

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You arrange for the coolant to be transparent to the incoming light or admit the light through a window.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook