Interaction of two wavefunctions

1. Hi,

I've been thinking about the following scheme: let's say I have an incoming photon ray with wavefunction ψ1 that finds a bloch electron with wavefunction ψ2. Is there any way to compute the optical coefficients (transmitivity, reflectivity etc) of the material knowing only this two ψ and the corresponding electronic DOS due to the bloch electrons?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,903
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes - you are scattering a photon off an electron in a solid.

4. The wavefunction contains complete knowledge of the system, so I think yes it should be possible to compute all materials properties in principle.

But is it meaningful to talk of a photon wavefunction? The Schrodinger equation does not apply to them. More advanced formalism is needed (fields and field operators).

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,903
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pretty much - you will see treatments that talk about a plane-wave state for incoming photons etc. for the scattering regime ... i.e. we can certainly write down a schrodinger equation for a system composed of matter and photons in Columb gauge.

But a proper QM treatment for the interaction of photons and Bloch electrons will involve field theory or, at least, QED.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted