Scattering states at presence of interface with strong SOC

In summary, the paper discusses the model for scattering states in the presence of an interface potential barrier. The wave functions for these states are represented as a combination of plane waves and are only valid when the energy of the states is larger than the height of the potential barrier. The matrix scattering coefficients can be represented using a 2x2 unit matrix and spin-dependent vectors. The spin-dependent part of the scattering coefficients is the physical origin of spin-to-charge and spin-to-spin conversion effects. In regards to the questions, the potential barrier is considered smaller than the Fermi energy and the energy of the scattering states is larger than the potential barrier.
amjad-sh
This thread refers to a paper I am working on.
The paper said in the model section that:
In the complete set of scattering states we distinguish two orthogonal set of eigenfunctions:

(i) the states
− →
ϕ incoming from the left, and (ii) the states

←−
ϕ incoming from the right. Away from the interface the wave functions corresponding to the energy ε = (p^2 +k^2 )/2m have:

Capture.PNG
My question is : why the wave functions are represented as a combination of plane waves and why in the terms (z<0) for waves incoming from the left and (z>0) for waves coming from the right there is no e^(ik'z) and e^(-ikz) multiplied by nothing?

then the text completes:
Apparently the expressions of Eq. (3) are only valid when k^2>2mV , that is, when the energy of the scattering states is larger then the height of the interface potential barrier. It can be easily proven that the electrons with k^2<2mV do not contribute to the transport effects we are considering in this work.

In general, the matrix scattering coefficients can be represented as follows:
Capture.PNG

where, ##\sigma_0## is a 2 × 2 unit matrix, and vectors ##\mathbf r,\mathbf r_ 0 ,\mathbf t##,
and ##\mathbf t_0## describe the spin dependent (spin flip) part of the scattering at the interface. A nontrivial spin dependent part of the scattering coefficients, appearing due to the ISOC, is the physical origin of the spin-to-charge and spin-to-spin conversion effects that will be considered in
the next sections.

The text completes:

Capture.PNG

My question: Why the potential barrier is considered smaller than the fermi energy? Is it because we considered the energy of the scattering states bigger than the potential barrier?

@DeathbyGreen Hi sorry I picked you, I wanted to complete the discussion in the previous post https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...rface-between-two-metals.943407/#post-5969726 but I think it may be considered as a new topic.
this is again the paper

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 435
  • 1706.04797 (1).pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 253
Physics news on Phys.org
both of my questions are so ...:nb)
please ignore this thread:smile:

1. What is scattering in the presence of an interface with strong spin-orbit coupling (SOC)?

Scattering refers to the process in which particles interact with each other or with the boundaries of a material, resulting in a change in their direction or energy. In the presence of an interface with strong SOC, the spin of the particles also plays a significant role in the scattering process.

2. How does strong SOC affect the scattering behavior at an interface?

Strong SOC can lead to spin-flip scattering, where the spin of the scattered particle is different from its original spin. This is due to the coupling between the spin and orbital motion of the particle, resulting in a change in its spin direction at the interface.

3. What are the implications of strong SOC on scattering states at an interface?

Strong SOC can lead to the formation of spin-polarized states at the interface, where the spin of the scattered particles aligns in a specific direction. This can have important consequences for the transport properties of the material, as well as for potential applications in spintronics.

4. How do we study scattering states at an interface with strong SOC?

Scattering states at an interface with strong SOC can be studied using theoretical models and simulations, as well as experimental techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM).

5. What are the potential applications of understanding scattering states at an interface with strong SOC?

Understanding scattering states at an interface with strong SOC can have implications for the development of new materials with unique spin-dependent properties, as well as for the design of novel spin-based devices for information processing and storage.