Solidified gases and Bloch functions.

In summary, the conversation discusses two multiple choice questions related to crystal structures and electron behavior in a crystal. The first question addresses the reason why elements other than rare gas atoms do not close pack as much, despite having stronger attractions. The second question asks about the properties of Bloch functions at different k points in the Brillouin zone. The individual states their thoughts on the correct answers for each question, but also mentions the importance of discussing and understanding the reasoning behind the answers rather than just providing the correct answer.
Wicked85
Hi! I have two multiple choice question which I'm having trouble solving.

1) Why do all elements (except rare gas atoms) seldomly close pack as much as the rare gas atoms although they attract each other much more.
i. Too much attraction deforms the crystal structure
ii. It is due to temperature effect. Indeed at 0K all materials close pack.
iii. Chemical bonding cannot be reduced to pairwise attractions
iiii. It's a surface effect: the surface applies an inwards pressure, which is minimized by the actual crystal structure.

2)For an electron in a crystal, which of the following statements are true?
i. The Bloch function computed at two different k's in the Brillouin zone are orthogonal.
ii. The periodic part of the Bloch functions computed at two different k points in the Brillouin zone are orthogonal.
iii. Two Bloch functions computed at two different k points in the Brillouin zone differ just in the phase factor.
iiii. All Bloch functions can be taken to be periodic for an appropriate choice of the phase.

I think that (ii) is the correct answer in question 1. And (i) and (iii) are correct in question 2. Any thoughts or comments on that? :)
/Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to 1 is definitely wrong.
For 2, I might say that you are half right, although I'm not sure exactly what they mean by option iiii.

You should state why you think those answers are right, and then we can have discussion that leads to getting the correct answers. Otherwise I just tell you that your answers are right or wrong, or give you the right answers.

Related to Solidified gases and Bloch functions.

1. What are solidified gases?

Solidified gases are gases that have been cooled to such a low temperature that they transform into solid form. This process is known as cryogenic solidification and is often used in industries such as food preservation and rocket fuel production.

2. How are solidified gases formed?

Solidified gases are formed through a process called solidification or freezing. This occurs when a gas is cooled to a temperature below its freezing point, causing the gas particles to lose energy and slow down. As a result, they are no longer able to overcome the attractive forces between them and form a solid state.

3. What are Bloch functions?

Bloch functions are mathematical representations of the behavior of electrons in a crystalline structure. They are used in solid state physics to describe the wave-like behavior of electrons as they move through a crystal lattice. Bloch functions are essential in understanding the electronic properties of solid materials.

4. How are solidified gases and Bloch functions related?

Solidified gases and Bloch functions are related in the study of solid state physics. Bloch functions are used to explain the behavior of electrons in solidified gases, as well as in other solid materials. This allows scientists to better understand the properties of solidified gases and how they can be manipulated for various applications.

5. What are the practical applications of solidified gases and Bloch functions?

There are many practical applications of solidified gases and Bloch functions. Solidified gases, such as liquid nitrogen, are commonly used as coolants in various industries. Bloch functions are used in the development of advanced materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors, which have important applications in electronics and energy production. Understanding these concepts also allows scientists to further explore the properties of matter and potentially develop new materials for various uses.