Interchanging limits and differentiation/integration

• Thread starter magic_castle32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which limits and differentiation can be interchanged, both in the context of a sequence of functions and a general function. The Lebesgue's dominated convergence theorem provides a sufficient condition for this interchange to be valid, by guaranteeing the existence of a dominating function. This theorem is also more powerful as it holds for all measures, not just the Lebesgue measure, and can be used to prove concrete formulas.
magic_castle32
I am wondering as to what are the (regularity) conditions which would permit the interchanging of limits and differentiation (for a sequence of functions)? What about the interchanging of differentiation and integration?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose [tex]\Omega\subset\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is an open set, [tex]Y\subset\mathbb{R}^m[/tex] is a measurable set, and [tex]f:\Omega\times Y\to \mathbb{R}[/tex] some function so that [tex]y\mapsto f(x,y)[/tex] is integrable with all [tex]x\in\Omega[/tex], and so that [tex]x\mapsto f(x,y)[/tex] has the partial derivative [tex]\partial_i f(x,y)[/tex] with all [tex]y\in Y[/tex]. Now it makes sense to ask if the equation

[tex]
\partial_i \int\limits_Y dy\; f(x,y) = \int\limits_{Y} dy\; \partial_i f(x,y)
[/tex]

is correct. If we write down the definition of the derivative, we see that the equation is equivalent with

[tex]
\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \int\limits_Y dy\; \frac{f(x+\epsilon e_i, y) - f(x,y)}{\epsilon} = \int\limits_Y dy\; \lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \frac{f(x+\epsilon e_i, y) - f(x,y)}{\epsilon}.
[/tex]

So actually the question is that can you change the order of the limit and the integration.

This is a basic problem in the integration theory: Given a sequence of integrable functions [tex]f_n:X\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], that converge pointwisely to some function [tex]f:X\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], on some measure space, is the equation

[tex]
\lim_{n\to\infty} \int\limits_X dx\; f_n(x) = \int\limits_X dx\; f(x)
[/tex]

true? The answer is that it is not always true, but the Lebesgue's dominated convergence theorem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominated_convergence_theorem, describes a sufficient and useful condition that guarantees that the limit and integration can be commuted. The condition is that a dominating function [tex]g:X\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] must exist so that

[tex]
|f_n(x)| \leq g(x),\quad\quad \forall x\in X,\quad \forall n\in\mathbb{N}
[/tex]

and

[tex]
\int\limits_X dx\; g(x) < \infty.
[/tex]

In similar spirit, a following condition gives an answer to the original problem: If there exists a function [tex]h:Y\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] so that [tex]|\partial_i f(x,y)| \leq h(y)[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\Omega[/tex] and [tex]y\in Y[/tex], and so that

[tex]
\int\limits_Y dy\; h(y) < \infty,
[/tex]

then the differentiation and integration can be commuted.

The proof uses the dominated convergence, and the mean value theorem which guarantees the existence of [tex]\xi_{x,y,\epsilon}\in\Omega[/tex] such that

[tex]
\frac{f(x + \epsilon e_i, y) - f(x,y)}{\epsilon} = \partial_i f(\xi_{x,y,\epsilon}, y).
[/tex]

So if you want to commute differentiation and integration rigorously, the ready formula for it is that you must prove the existence of this dominating function.

Last edited:
btw. I didn't answer your first question, because I don't know answer to it. It looks easier at least... perhaps somebody else says something to it? :frown:

Considering the fact that the Riemann integral of a (Riemann integrable) function is always the same as the Lebesgue integral, the comment in Wikipedia:

This theorem shows the superiority of the Lebesgue integral over the Riemann integral for many theoretical purposes.

Is not very correct IMO. Besides, according to my experience (which is not very much of experience yet, but anyway...), the dominated convergence is useful especially when you want to actually prove some concrete formulas.

Also, part of the power of the theorem lies in the fact that it holds for all measures, not only for the Lebesgue measure. So it can be used to prove, for example, formulas like this:

[tex]
\lim_{k\to \infty} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n,k} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \big(\lim_{k\to\infty} a_{n,k}\big)
[/tex]

Since the infinite summation is an integration of certain kind.

1. What is the definition of interchanging limits and differentiation/integration?

The interchange of limits and differentiation/integration refers to the process of switching the order of taking limits and performing differentiation or integration on a function. This is often used in advanced calculus and analysis to simplify calculations and solve problems.

2. When can limits and differentiation/integration be interchanged?

Limits and differentiation/integration can be interchanged under certain conditions, such as when the function is continuous and the limits exist. Additionally, for integration, the function must also be integrable over the given interval. It is important to check these conditions before interchanging limits and differentiation/integration to ensure the validity of the result.

3. What is the purpose of interchanging limits and differentiation/integration?

The purpose of interchanging limits and differentiation/integration is to simplify calculations and solve problems that involve functions with multiple variables. It allows for easier evaluation of limits and integration by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can limits and differentiation/integration always be interchanged?

No, limits and differentiation/integration cannot always be interchanged. There are certain cases where the interchange is not valid, such as when the function is not continuous or when the limits do not exist. It is important to carefully consider the conditions before interchanging limits and differentiation/integration.

5. Are there any techniques for interchanging limits and differentiation/integration?

Yes, there are several techniques for interchanging limits and differentiation/integration, such as using the Leibniz integral rule or applying the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and analysis to effectively use these techniques and ensure the validity of the result.