Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest based investment strategy

1. Aug 23, 2007 #1
    Okay, i'm wondering if an investment that averages x% over the term of an investent and an investment with a fixed return of x% over the term of an investment are equivalent...I'm not really sure at all, and itas advised i can both explain and somehow graph this.

Can anyone investigate my above proposition to see if it is warrented? If not, could you give any and all reasons why?

I know that i have to consider simple fo compound sperately...but...yeah. I would love a coupel fo different people's responses, haha...i would love any response really. It would be a huge help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's pretty much the definition of "average"- the single value that gives exactly the same result as a variable. Yes, the average value of x% must give exactly the same result as a constant value of x% in order to be called the "average".
  4. Aug 23, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That depends on a lot of things. If you never make deposits, and the average is a sensible one, then it's all the same, as HallsofIvy said. If you're adding money, volatility is generally good -- assuming you're dollar-cost averaging.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?