1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest: Basic knowledge at medicine making

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    It would be awesome if there was a course - intro to medicine making where I would get to create a pill but there isn't. What would be the closest thing to it? I thought I could major in 1 field to get the medicine knowledge but even that's not true. Even inside pharmacology, there are more categories I have to chose for. So is it not possible for me to the knowledge from 1 education about drug-research into the following types: Painkiller, anti-bacterial, boost, etc.?

Thanks.

P.S. I am attending University of Akron. Am willing to change Universities just for this.
    (since pharmacology isn't even offered there.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Jul 1, 2011 #3
    Would I have enough basic knowledge to do continual research on my own after my Undergrad degree, because right now, I feel hopeless. Or would I be actually be making stuff in the Lab by my Master's or even PhD?

EDITED LATER: Referring to Medicinal Chemistry.
    (in response to eXorikos)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. Jul 1, 2011 #4
    You want to be able to study farmacology after 1 class?

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5
    Bump.
    (Check my last thread.)

7. Jul 4, 2011 #6
    You will need a year of general chemistry and a year of organic chemistry before you can understand anything.

edit: As an example, a popular organic chemistry experiment is to make benzocaine, a local anesthetic. http://courses.chem.psu.edu/chem35/Syn%20Sp06/35Exp86.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Jul 4, 2011 #7
    I feel like this is rather sketchy... for what purpose do you want to learn how to make pills for personal research...

9. Jul 11, 2011 #8
    Is Medicinal Chemistry only offered as a Graduate program?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook