1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interest Vary and its making me confused

1. May 29, 2014 #1
    I'm a freshmen college student pursuing a chemical engineering degree. I have many ideas that I want to create ranging from food processing, recreating the future of human performance equipment, ocean discovery, computer programs, and more. Will majoring in chemical engineering be best suited for my wide range of interest? Is college necessary, or do you suggest jumping straight in right now? What does someone like myself do after college; do I work for someone (which doesn't seem very appealing) or do I just jump straight in, build prototypes and receive funding?
    I spoke with my physics professor and he suggested I work for 3-5 years, gaining experience and funds then make the jump to starting my own enterprise.

All opinions are welcomed with an open mind. I would like to have an open discussion on this topic as well because I know there are many young people (an older) that have ideas but are confused when to make the move.

Thank You
    BP

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2014 #2
    The only one of your interest that remotely has anything to do with chemical engineering is maybe food processing. You need to tone it down and focus on something and not try to stretch yourself thin trying to do too much. Secondly, I don't know what you heard but you don't simply start a business. You need capital, and if you are working on something that effects the public you need professional engineers. Get your degree first and worry about the business thing afterwards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook