1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in Aerospace Eng? heard bad things though

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    I am currently wrapping up my undergrad BS in physics and was considering grad school for aerospace engineering.

- I have heard however that many aerospace engineers wind up working on small scale pieces and hardly get the chance to take into account the higher level design goals
    **I know this happens with any engineering field but from what I hear aero is notorious for this?

Please advise!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    I think there is a lot of anonymity in the field and a reason might be because the final product is so complex that one person can only focus on one small part. This is why many people go to graduate school to get masters or PhD's and then work in academia where they can theorize without having to deal with companies or the government bureaucracy.

I think many people are excited about the idea of working on a really cool project like a plane or rocket and who wouldn't? Perhaps you can consider mechanical engineering which is more versatile and will help you get a job somewhere else if aerospace doesn't work out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?