Interested in Aerospace Eng? heard bad things though

• Thread starter ShipShip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aerospace
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential limitations of working as an aerospace engineer, with a focus on the possibility of being restricted to small scale pieces and the anonymity of the field due to the complexity of the final product. The suggestion is made to consider mechanical engineering as a more versatile option.
ShipShip
I am currently wrapping up my undergrad BS in physics and was considering grad school for aerospace engineering.

- I have heard however that many aerospace engineers wind up working on small scale pieces and hardly get the chance to take into account the higher level design goals
**I know this happens with any engineering field but from what I hear aero is notorious for this?

Please advise!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a lot of anonymity in the field and a reason might be because the final product is so complex that one person can only focus on one small part. This is why many people go to graduate school to get masters or PhD's and then work in academia where they can theorize without having to deal with companies or the government bureaucracy.

I think many people are excited about the idea of working on a really cool project like a plane or rocket and who wouldn't? Perhaps you can consider mechanical engineering which is more versatile and will help you get a job somewhere else if aerospace doesn't work out.

As a scientist with experience in the field of aerospace engineering, I can assure you that there are always pros and cons to any career path. While it is true that some aerospace engineers may end up working on smaller scale projects, there are also many opportunities for higher level design work in this field. It ultimately depends on the specific company or organization you work for and the projects they have at the time. However, with a background in physics, you have a strong foundation for pursuing a graduate degree in aerospace engineering and can potentially have a diverse range of opportunities in both smaller and larger scale projects. My advice would be to research different companies and their projects, network with professionals in the field, and keep an open mind when considering your career options. Ultimately, if you have a passion for aerospace engineering, don't let rumors discourage you from pursuing it. With hard work and determination, you can find fulfilling and challenging work in this field. Best of luck with your decision.

1. What is Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, testing, and production of aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems. This field combines principles from mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering to create efficient and safe aerospace vehicles.

2. What are some common misconceptions about Aerospace Engineering?

One common misconception is that Aerospace Engineering is only about building and designing airplanes. In reality, it also includes spacecraft, satellites, and missiles. Another misconception is that it is only for people who are good at math and science. While these skills are important, creativity and problem-solving are also crucial in this field.

3. What are some potential challenges or negative aspects of Aerospace Engineering?

Some challenges in Aerospace Engineering include the high cost and long development time of projects, as well as the need for strict safety regulations. There may also be challenges with supply chain management and unexpected technical issues that arise during the design and testing process.

4. What are the job prospects for Aerospace Engineers?

The job prospects for Aerospace Engineers are generally positive, with a projected job growth of 3% from 2019 to 2029. There is a high demand for skilled professionals in this field, particularly in the areas of research and development, design, and manufacturing.

5. How can I prepare for a career in Aerospace Engineering?

To prepare for a career in Aerospace Engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in physics and calculus. Gaining hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial. It is also important to stay updated on industry developments and advancements in technology. Pursuing a degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field is also recommended.