1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aspiring Aerospace Engineer BS ME minor applied math?

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    I am currently in school for an undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in aerospace (i.e. Aerodynamics instead of fluid dynamics, propulsion instead of applied thermo, and some aerospace electives). I have hopes after to work for an aviation company such as Boeing, HondaJet, Gulfstream, etc. After getting my BS in Mech. Engineering I'm pretty set on going to get a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. My question is while I am trying to obtain my BS in ME, would it be beneficial to minor in Applied Mathematics?

I was just thinking how I do enjoy solving math problems and I've heard aerospace engineers rely on it more so than mechanical, so would it be worth my time/money to minor in applied mathematics? I realize it would not hurt to do it, but again it will add to the time it takes to graduate (not much if any though because I have it worked out to have almost only my senior project my last year), and will cost extra money.

Originally I figured just mathematics, but then noticed my university offered a minor in applied math and after looking at some of those courses, I really think they sound interesting.

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2
    I guess this was a stupid question and an obvious yes, I'm just concerned about it being such a bearing on me that I regret it or it hurts my GPA.

I'm really interested in taking those courses, but not if it'd end up doing more harm than good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook