Aspiring Aerospace Engineer BS ME minor applied math?

In summary, the person is currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in aerospace. They plan to work for an aviation company after graduation and then pursue a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. They are considering minoring in Applied Mathematics, as they enjoy solving math problems and have heard it is important in aerospace engineering. They are worried about the added time and cost, but are interested in the courses and want to make sure it won't negatively impact their GPA.
WannaBeME
I am currently in school for an undergrad degree in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in aerospace (i.e. Aerodynamics instead of fluid dynamics, propulsion instead of applied thermo, and some aerospace electives). I have hopes after to work for an aviation company such as Boeing, HondaJet, Gulfstream, etc. After getting my BS in Mech. Engineering I'm pretty set on going to get a Masters in Aerospace Engineering. My question is while I am trying to obtain my BS in ME, would it be beneficial to minor in Applied Mathematics?

I was just thinking how I do enjoy solving math problems and I've heard aerospace engineers rely on it more so than mechanical, so would it be worth my time/money to minor in applied mathematics? I realize it would not hurt to do it, but again it will add to the time it takes to graduate (not much if any though because I have it worked out to have almost only my senior project my last year), and will cost extra money.

Originally I figured just mathematics, but then noticed my university offered a minor in applied math and after looking at some of those courses, I really think they sound interesting.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess this was a stupid question and an obvious yes, I'm just concerned about it being such a bearing on me that I regret it or it hurts my GPA.

I'm really interested in taking those courses, but not if it'd end up doing more harm than good.

1. What is an Aerospace Engineer?

An Aerospace Engineer is a professional who designs, develops, and tests aircraft, spacecraft, and related systems and components. They use principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create efficient and safe vehicles for flight.

2. What is the difference between a BS and ME degree in Aerospace Engineering?

A BS (Bachelor of Science) degree in Aerospace Engineering focuses on the fundamentals of the field, including aerodynamics, propulsion, and structures. On the other hand, a ME (Master of Engineering) degree allows for more specialization and advanced coursework in areas such as avionics, control systems, and space systems.

3. Why is a minor in applied math beneficial for aspiring Aerospace Engineers?

A minor in applied math provides a strong foundation in mathematical principles and their real-world applications, which are essential for solving complex engineering problems in the aerospace industry. It also demonstrates a strong analytical and problem-solving skill set to potential employers.

4. What are some common career paths for Aerospace Engineers?

Aerospace Engineers can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including commercial or military aircraft design, space exploration and research, aviation and defense systems, and government agencies such as NASA. They can also work in areas such as manufacturing, testing, and maintenance of aerospace products.

5. What skills are necessary for success as an Aerospace Engineer?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, successful Aerospace Engineers possess excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. They are also detail-oriented, creative, and able to work well in a team. Familiarity with computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of industry regulations and standards are also important for success in this field.