Double major in aerospace engineering and physics?

In summary, the individual is discussing their original plan to do applied physics with a specialty in astrodynamics and propulsion, with a minor in astronomy. However, due to closed classes, they have decided to do a double major in physics and aerospace engineering. They plan to graduate in four years by taking 18 credits each semester, but are open to taking longer if needed. They also have a detailed plan for graduate school that involves deep knowledge of quantum field theory and advanced fluid dynamics. Other students advise taking more than four years to graduate in order to do well in classes and possibly gain research experience for grad school.
yeezyseason3
I understand that this question has already been asked but I am still not satisfied with the answers given. My original plan was to do applied physics with a specialty in astrodynamics and propulsion with a minor in astronomy. Unfortunately most of the classes with in the aero department were closed off and in order for me to register I had to wait until open registration and by then the classes would've all filled up. I decided that because I want to primarily get a physics degree but work in aerospace I could do a double major. My plan of study has me graduating in four years right now but that requires me taking 18 credits for the rest of my existence (including the senior design). My plan now is to follow the plan I made and take it semester by semester. If I have to drop a class I will just push it into a fifth year. I will not take 6 years and if it seems like that may be the case before I get to my fifth year I'll drop the aerospace engineering degree completely and just come out with an applied physics degree. To fellow aerospace students, how feasible is 18 credits of pure aero engineering and physics classes? Also to those who have done it please leave a reply on how well you did as well as how difficult it actually is. What I want to do with both, I have an elaborate plan which involves going to graduate school with a professor who I know works in the field and that requires both deep knowledge of quantum field theory as well as advanced fluid dynamics which are both upper division courses in physics and aerospace engineering respectively.

I'm doing something similar, physics and math double major. I front loaded my GEs so now I'm just doing all physics and math courses (18 to 20 units per quarter). It's time consuming and tiring but possible if you're committed. You should be able to get good grades if, like I said, you're committed

Also, make sure you try to get some research experience for grad school. Oh, and if possible take courses during the summer to alleviate your load during any given quarter/semester.

I'm not sure about your specific school but most schools have quantum field theory as a grad level topic. So, if you're trying to do this that'll most likely mean you'll have to finish the core undergrad curriculum early and move on to the grad courses or learn it via independent study with a professor

Likes yeezyseason3
Brian T said:
I'm doing something similar, physics and math double major. I front loaded my GEs so now I'm just doing all physics and math courses (18 to 20 units per quarter). It's time consuming and tiring but possible if you're committed. You should be able to get good grades if, like I said, you're committed

Also, make sure you try to get some research experience for grad school. Oh, and if possible take courses during the summer to alleviate your load during any given quarter/semester.

I'm not sure about your specific school but most schools have quantum field theory as a grad level topic. So, if you're trying to do this that'll most likely mean you'll have to finish the core undergrad curriculum early and move on to the grad courses or learn it via independent study with a professor

I am going to push myself and do it. You are right I am probably going to end up taking QFT as an elective in grad school. I'm just focused on graduating in four years right now. Thanks for the non-negative "oh you won't be able to handle it" post.

yeezyseason3 said:
I understand that this question has already been asked but I am still not satisfied with the answers given. My original plan was to do applied physics with a specialty in astrodynamics and propulsion with a minor in astronomy. Unfortunately most of the classes with in the aero department were closed off and in order for me to register I had to wait until open registration and by then the classes would've all filled up. I decided that because I want to primarily get a physics degree but work in aerospace I could do a double major. My plan of study has me graduating in four years right now but that requires me taking 18 credits for the rest of my existence (including the senior design). My plan now is to follow the plan I made and take it semester by semester. If I have to drop a class I will just push it into a fifth year. I will not take 6 years and if it seems like that may be the case before I get to my fifth year I'll drop the aerospace engineering degree completely and just come out with an applied physics degree. To fellow aerospace students, how feasible is 18 credits of pure aero engineering and physics classes? Also to those who have done it please leave a reply on how well you did as well as how difficult it actually is. What I want to do with both, I have an elaborate plan which involves going to graduate school with a professor who I know works in the field and that requires both deep knowledge of quantum field theory as well as advanced fluid dynamics which are both upper division courses in physics and aerospace engineering respectively.

Take more then 4 years to graduate, 5 or even 6 years is reasonable given a double major with as many classes as physics and aerospace engineering. It's better to take longer and do well in your classes than be rushed to finish in the 'normal' time span and get mediocre grades because you couldn't focus enough on anyone class. I did a double major in physics and electrical engineering and my advice to most is don't do that unless your program integrates that into a major like applied/engineering physics. If I were you I would just stick to the applied physics degree and minor in aerospace engineering or vice versa; since you want to do astrodynamics anyway why don't you seek out a professor doing research in said area and do research/project work in that; that's going to look better than a giant slew of classes just so you can have the name recognition of engineering on your diploma.

1. What is a double major in aerospace engineering and physics?

A double major in aerospace engineering and physics is a program of study where a student pursues two degrees simultaneously in both of these fields. It combines the technical and theoretical aspects of aerospace engineering with the fundamental principles of physics.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in aerospace engineering and physics?

There are several benefits to pursuing a double major in aerospace engineering and physics. It allows students to gain a deeper understanding of both fields and opens up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, and research. It also demonstrates a strong academic background and the ability to handle a rigorous course load.

3. Is it difficult to complete a double major in aerospace engineering and physics?

Yes, pursuing a double major in aerospace engineering and physics can be challenging. Both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics and a rigorous coursework in technical and theoretical concepts. However, with good time management and dedication, it is possible to successfully complete this double major.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a double major in aerospace engineering and physics?

There are various career paths for individuals with a double major in aerospace engineering and physics. Some common options include working as an aerospace engineer, research scientist, or data analyst in industries such as aerospace, defense, and government agencies. Graduates may also pursue advanced degrees in fields such as astrophysics or aerospace engineering.

5. Can I pursue a double major in aerospace engineering and physics at any university?

Not all universities offer a double major in aerospace engineering and physics. It is important to research and find universities that have a strong program in both fields. Additionally, some universities may require students to apply for a double major or have specific requirements for admission into the program.