Interesting problem I thought of

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: Well, depending on your definition of a slope, it might be possible. However, I don't think it would be justified to give a point a slope since points are infinitesimally small.
Nano-Passion
First, I apologize for any awkward language--I'm still relatively new to mathematics. This problem seems to be related to number theory as well if it pans out, but I thought it would be better suited here.

Given a point (x,y), can you always construct a circle such that the center of the circle lies in the coordinates (0,0), its radius being equal to the magnitude of the length (x,y) and a point on the circumference of the circle intersects (for lack of better words) the coordinate (x,y). In a set of real numbers ℝ?

If so, can you extend this to a point (x,y,z) and a sphere centered around the coordinate (0,0,0) with a radius equal to the magnitude of (x,y,z) in a set of real numbers ℝ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're asking if, given a point (x,y), can we construct a circle centred at the origin that passes through (x,y)? Certainly! Convert it into polar, and the equation describing our circle is

[tex]r\left(\theta\right)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

, which is quite easily converted into rectangular. Something similar goes for spheres, with spherical coordinates.

Whovian said:
If you're asking if, given a point (x,y), can we construct a circle centred at the origin that passes through (x,y)? Certainly! Convert it into polar, and the equation describing our circle is

[tex]r\left(\theta\right)=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]

, which is quite easily converted into rectangular. Something similar goes for spheres, with spherical coordinates.

Really? Any point? That is a very interesting conclusion!

How about for complex numbers and so forth?

Edit: Now since I think about it, it seems to be very intuitive and clear. As long as the circle has the same radius as the magnitude of the coordinate, then it will reach that point.

Well, depending on your definition of a circle, not necessarily the origin, though I think the generally accepted definition of a circle allows it to be just a point. For complex numbers ... hmmm ... I'm pretty sure similar arguments hold. However, what's your definition of a circle in the resulting hyperspace? I'm pretty sure that by orienting ourselves correctly in this hyperspace, we can just pick a plane that passes through the origin and the point (x,y) and apply the same arguments, but I'm not perfect at visualizing hyperspace. Same goes for the 6-dimensional space resulting from "complex cartesian space."

Whovian said:
Well, depending on your definition of a circle, not necessarily the origin, though I think the generally accepted definition of a circle allows it to be just a point. For complex numbers ... hmmm ... I'm pretty sure similar arguments hold. However, what's your definition of a circle in the resulting hyperspace? I'm pretty sure that by orienting ourselves correctly in this hyperspace, we can just pick a plane that passes through the origin and the point (x,y) and apply the same arguments, but I'm not perfect at visualizing hyperspace. Same goes for the 6-dimensional space resulting from "complex cartesian space."

Well that is funny, I was going to ask about hyper-spheres next But you beat me to it.

If a circle can intersect any point, does that mean we can give any point a hypothetical slope based on a circle and still be able to justify it -- a sort of "meta-slope"? I know it seems to be a bit extreme since points are infinitesimally small-- but I'm just letting my mind wander a bit. :biggrin: There might be a very rigorous definition of a point that leaves that impossible.

Sort of. If you've studied calculus, you'll know that these slopes you're asking about are the solutions to

[tex]2\cdot x+2\cdot y\cdot y'=0[/tex]

And so the slope will be

[tex]-\dfrac xy[/tex]

Your question's still a little unclear. We can assign each point this slope, we can also assign each point the slope 0, we can assign each point any sort of slope! This is related to slope fields when solving differential equations.

Whovian said:
Sort of. If you've studied calculus, you'll know that these slopes you're asking about are the solutions to

[tex]2\cdot x+2\cdot y\cdot y'=0[/tex]

And so the slope will be

[tex]-\dfrac xy[/tex]

Your question's still a little unclear. We can assign each point this slope, we can also assign each point the slope 0, we can assign each point any sort of slope! This is related to slope fields when solving differential equations.

Okay, take circles out of it and imagine only a point on the coordinate (x,y). Would it be justified to give a point a slope?

Edit: Nvm, so a point can be given any slope.. Hmm, that is interesting. So it isn't a definite thing.

When you say "give a point a slope", what do you mean by "slope". I.e. what definition of "slope" are you using?

HallsofIvy said:
When you say "give a point a slope", what do you mean by "slope". I.e. what definition of "slope" are you using?

Oh no, don't pay any attention to what I was saying. I was just talking about a "meta-slope," so to speak. I was thinking about how each point on an explicit/implicit function can be given a slope through taking the limit of Δy/Δx. But now I see it doesn't make sense because any point can be given any slope--only dependent on the function f(x).

1. What is the interesting problem you thought of?

The interesting problem I thought of is the possibility of using artificial intelligence to create a more efficient and sustainable transportation system.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because transportation plays a crucial role in our daily lives and has a significant impact on the environment. By finding a solution to make transportation more efficient and sustainable, we can reduce carbon emissions and improve the quality of life for both humans and the planet.

3. How do you plan on addressing this problem?

I plan on addressing this problem by conducting research on current transportation systems and their inefficiencies. I will also explore the capabilities and limitations of artificial intelligence and how it can be applied to improve transportation. Additionally, I will collaborate with experts in the field to develop and test potential solutions.

4. What are the potential challenges in solving this problem?

One potential challenge is the complexity of the transportation system and the various factors that need to be considered, such as traffic patterns, infrastructure, and public transportation. Another challenge is the ethical and safety implications of implementing artificial intelligence in transportation. Additionally, there may be resistance from traditional transportation industries to adopt new technologies.

5. What impact do you hope to achieve with this solution?

I hope to achieve a significant reduction in carbon emissions and an increase in the efficiency and accessibility of transportation. This solution could also lead to cost savings for individuals and businesses, as well as improved safety on the roads. Ultimately, I hope to contribute to a more sustainable future for our planet and its inhabitants.