Interesting programming problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for challenging programming problems to solve with Java. The individual has gone through two Java books but is looking for more difficult exercises to improve their algorithmic thinking skills. They are specifically interested in books or websites that provide collections of problems with descriptions of the algorithms used to solve them. The book "Data Structures and Problem Solving Using Java" by Weiss is recommended as a resource for challenging exercises, particularly the exercise of creating a calculator with advanced functions. The individual is encouraged to not just use the author's code, but to learn how to code it themselves. Other suggested resources include TopCoder and a list of project ideas on a forum.
Aziza
I am taking a course on Java and i am looking for some interesting general programming problems i could solve with java. I've gone through two java books, but most of the exercises at the ends of the chapters are very straightforward, and I am looking for something more challenging. My professor always asks much more challenging questions in class and asks us to think of an algorithm to solve his problem and even though I've done all of the textbook exercises, i find it hard to think of efficient algorithms on the spot to these harder problems, so i would like some practice with that. does anyone know any good books or websites with collections of such problems and maybe also with descriptions of the algorithms that are usually used to solve them?

Technology news on Phys.org
"Data Structures and Problem Solving Using Java" by Weiss is probably meant as a second year text and has what might be some more challenging exercises.

One of those is a simple calculator. Perhaps you could extend that to make it an arbitrary precision calculator and incorporate some of the functions like greatest common denominator, least common multiple, Euler phi function, etc, the sort of functions that people experimenting with numbers and number theory might really like to have in a calculator. And you could make it an applet so it would download automatically and run using your computer's resources.

If you did a good job of coding that so it would be easy for others to understand and add more functions then this might be a resource that people who are interested in that sort of calculation would really value.

You can download code from the author's website, but since you are learning I would suggest that you perhaps not just use his code, but learn how to do it yourself.

The newest editions of the book are as expensive as any textbook, but the old edition I have can now be purchased for $4 delivered!
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Data-Str...g-Using-Java-ISBN-9780201549911?isrc=b-search

Once you get it working you might ask people over in the math/number theory area if people would try it out and suggest more functions to put into it.

1. What are some common programming problems that are considered interesting?

Some common programming problems that are considered interesting include sorting algorithms, graph traversal, string manipulation, and dynamic programming.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in programming?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in programming is by practicing regularly and challenging yourself with different types of problems. Collaborating with other programmers and seeking feedback can also help improve problem-solving skills.

3. Are there any resources available to help me find interesting programming problems?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online coding platforms, programming challenge websites, and books specifically focused on interesting programming problems.

4. How can I approach solving an interesting programming problem?

It is helpful to break down the problem into smaller sub-problems and tackle each one individually. It is also important to understand the problem thoroughly before attempting to solve it and to use efficient coding techniques and data structures.

5. Can solving interesting programming problems benefit my career?

Yes, solving interesting programming problems can improve your problem-solving skills, expand your knowledge and understanding of different programming concepts, and make you a more well-rounded and valuable programmer in the eyes of employers.