Topics for undergraduate mathematics and physics research

In summary: I'll definitely keep that in mind. In summary, a university has been chosen, and the physics and mathematics major is chosen. However, the individual has concerns about research and is unsure what to research. The individual consults a website that provides research topics for physics and mathematics majors. However, most of the topics are related to engineering. The individual should focus on impressing their professors with great grades and hard work in order to have a better chance of being chosen to join a research group. Finally, the individual should also be aware of the types of research that are acceptable for fulfilling undergraduate research requirements.
Faiq
I will be attending a university in this fall, and I have decided to double major in physics and mathematics. However what haunts me most is the very idea of research. I am supposed to be publishing something new in 4 years both in mathematics and physics for completion of my course. But I can't seem to get any idea on what to research on.

Can somebody point on what can be some potential research topics for physics and mathematics for undergraduates?

Moreover is it possible to fulfill the condition by researching and publishing on a topic that combines both physics and maths? (Example:
Hodge theory and Electromagnetism. (Algebraic topology/Physics)

Electromagnetic theory since the time of Maxwell has been an important source of new mathematics. This is particularly true for topology, specially for what is called "algebraic topology". One fundamental topic in algebraic topology with strong ties to electromagnetism is the so called "Hodge-de Rham theory". Although in its general form this is a difficult and technical topic, it is possible to go a long way into the subject with only Math 233. The article "Vector Calculus and the Topology of Domains in 3-Space", by Cantarella, DeTurck and Gluck (The American Mathematical Monthly, V. 109, N. 5, 409-442) is the ideal reference for a project in this area. (It has as well some inspiring pictures.)

Another direction to explore is the theory of direct current electric circuits (remember Kirkhoff's laws?). In fact, an electric circuit may be regarded as electric and magnetic field over a region in 3-space that is very nearly one dimensional, typically with very complicated topology (a graph). Solving circuit problems implicitly involve the kind of algebraic topology related to Hodge theory. (Hermann Weyl may have been the first to look into electric circuits from this point of view.) The simplification here is that the mathematics involved reduces to finite dimensional linear algebra. A nice reference for this is appendix B of The Geometry of Physics (T. Frankel), as well as A Course in Mathematics for Studentsof Physics vol. 2, by Bamberg and Sternberg.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I actually consulted that but most of the research topics are engineering-related, no?

Faiq said:
Yes, I actually consulted that but most of the research topics are engineering-related, no?
True, but I was hoping that they might spark parallel ideas in your areas of interest. Congrats on heading off to university! :smile:

BTW, which university will you be attending, and what are the current research projects being conducted in the Physics and Math departments? Have you read the Bios of all of the professors to see what their research interests are? That might also help to spark some ideas.

Usually, you gain the confidence of a prof and get him to add you to his research group.

Then you select a topic from the things his group is working on. No need to come up with an original idea at this point.

Right now your focus should be on impressing your profs with hard work and great grades so that you are the one student they most want to add to their research group.

Oh, and a lot of the ideas in the "Niches" article are more in the areas of applied physics and applied mathematics. But these have usually been acceptable for fulfilling undergraduate research requirements. "Pure" math and "pure" physics are a bit harder for an undergrad, especially for a new undergrad to see when they are just starting out.

Likes berkeman
Thanks Dr. C

1. How do I choose a topic for undergraduate mathematics and physics research?

Choosing a topic for undergraduate research can be overwhelming, but it's important to choose something that interests you and aligns with your strengths in math and physics. Consider talking to your professors or doing some background research to find a topic that excites you.

2. What are some popular research topics in undergraduate mathematics and physics?

Some popular research topics in undergraduate math and physics include quantum mechanics, astrophysics, chaos theory, differential equations, and mathematical modeling. However, don't limit yourself to these topics - there are many interesting and cutting-edge areas to explore!

3. How can I get started with my research project?

The first step is to choose a topic and develop a research question. From there, it's important to read and gather information on your topic, create a research plan, and consult with your professor for guidance and feedback. It's also helpful to attend seminars and conferences to learn from other researchers in your field.

4. Can I conduct research as an undergraduate student?

Yes, many universities offer undergraduate research opportunities in math and physics. These can be in the form of independent study courses, summer research programs, or research assistantships with professors. You can also reach out to professors directly to inquire about potential research projects.

5. What are the benefits of conducting undergraduate research in math and physics?

Undergraduate research allows you to explore your interests in a specific area of math or physics in depth, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and gain experience in the research process. It also looks impressive on graduate school applications and can lead to publication opportunities.