Interesting topics in network security?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle to come up with an interesting topic for a class presentation on cryptology and network security. Suggestions are given, including using a packet sniffer to demonstrate SSL certificates or explaining how a DoS attack works. The speaker also shares their experience using DoS attacks while working at a company.
ACLerok
I need to come up with a topic to present in one of my classes but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. I thought about doing a presentation on video security or how a cable box is securing the incoming video but someone else is doing it. I thought about maybe doing it on some type of encryption scheme but it seems kind of boring. That said, does anyone know of any interesting topics in cryptology and network security?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For my effective public speaking class, I presented on how to save a video from youtube. Class loved it, teacher.. not so much..

I have always enjoyed using a packet sniffer to demonstrate how an SSL certificate works. Best way to demonstrate is by running 2 computers, one the sniffer and one the "victim." It is quite an eyeopener.

wontmakeit221 said:
I have always enjoyed using a packet sniffer to demonstrate how an SSL certificate works. Best way to demonstrate is by running 2 computers, one the sniffer and one the "victim." It is quite an eyeopener.

sounds interesting though i don't have to demo anything, just present an idea. I'll look into this

If you aren't doing a demonstration, you could always explain how a DoS attack works. The packet sniffer is great if you do a demo though.

DoS Attacks

Those are the most basic fundamentals. I have worked for romainggear,com for a while. Got some good deals but I would set up computers and try to use DoS on them. Essentialy it is a great deal to learn but not hard to see. i like that idea.
levtechllc

1. What are some common types of cyber attacks?

Some common types of cyber attacks include phishing, malware, ransomware, denial of service attacks, and SQL injection.

2. How can I protect my personal information online?

You can protect your personal information online by using strong and unique passwords, being cautious of suspicious emails and links, using two-factor authentication, and keeping your software and operating system up-to-date.

3. What is encryption and how does it help with network security?

Encryption is the process of converting plain text into code to prevent unauthorized access to sensitive information. It helps with network security by making it difficult for hackers to decipher and access sensitive data.

4. What are some best practices for securing a network?

Some best practices for securing a network include using firewalls, implementing strong access control measures, regularly updating software and systems, conducting security audits, and training employees on safe internet practices.

5. How does a virtual private network (VPN) enhance network security?

A virtual private network (VPN) creates a secure connection over a public network, such as the internet, by encrypting data and routing it through a private server. This helps enhance network security by protecting sensitive data from being intercepted or accessed by unauthorized users.