Interesting topics in Physics to learn

In summary, Claude would like to know what are some good entry points for someone who wants to learn physics for fun. He suggests looking into astronomy, learning about basic principles of how telescopes and microscopes work, and listening to public physics lectures. He also recommends reading "An Introduction to Mechanics" by K&K.
Seydlitz
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if you guys have something that can be described as your entry-point in learning Physics. It's because I'm planning to do self-study using University Physics books before entering university and the problem is I can be quite bored with some of the routine topics if I started from the beginning chapter on. (e.g vector addition, units analysis) It's not that I'm saying that I've mastered all of them to their smallest detail, it's just I want to learn physics for fun, and I have no problem to go back to previous 'routine' topic just to understand some of the interesting bits. Hopefully I will be more motivated to learn all of the previous topics in the process.

It's like when someone get a bit bored and started to search for random articles in Wiki, and then from then learn all of the nice interesting things that lead to that particular article. I want to know if you can recommend me this entry point so to say.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you have a natural interest in? Are you more into theory or applied physics?

Offhand, I think astronomy is fascinating (as a non-expert) - also, learning some basics of how telescopes and microscopes work could pay off in the long run, as chances are you will use them at some point if you study physics at uni.

Also, keep an ear out for any public physics lectures that might be on, university open days, etc. Talking to people that do physics is so much more inspiring that just reading about it!

Good luck.

Claude.

I liked mechanical energy. It felt nice to be able to easily solve problems which would have been very difficult to solve with forces.

Claude Bile said:
What do you have a natural interest in? Are you more into theory or applied physics?

Offhand, I think astronomy is fascinating (as a non-expert) - also, learning some basics of how telescopes and microscopes work could pay off in the long run, as chances are you will use them at some point if you study physics at uni.

Also, keep an ear out for any public physics lectures that might be on, university open days, etc. Talking to people that do physics is so much more inspiring that just reading about it!

Good luck.

Claude.

I guess I am more inclined to do theory but I take it that's because I have few experience with applied physics. I agree with you that astronomy can be fascinating, it's the natural place to go after watching all of those classic sci-fi. I've played Orbiter too for some time in the past. Do you have some books to recommend, or even websites?

DaleSpam said:
I liked mechanical energy. It felt nice to be able to easily solve problems which would have been very difficult to solve with forces.

Is this related to Lagrangian mechanics?

Seydlitz said:
Is this related to Lagrangian mechanics?

The Lagrangian is kinetic energy minus potential energy, where the mechanical energy is kinetic plus potential, a change of a sign, but it makes a difference.

Various people find various topics interesting. I personally found mechanical energy to be the most interesting part of Newtonian mechanics as well, along with momentum.

Your typical first year physics class tends to be pretty boring. If you're interested in really getting to know Newtonian mechanics, I would suggest using a book like "An Introduction to Mechanics" by K&K.

I personally find EM to be much more interesting than classical mechanics, but it's all personal opinion.

I think energy was one of the most interesting parts of mechanics but find EM to be more interesting in general.

However, that being said I found Thermodynamics rather boring but found my class on Climate Physics (heavily based in thermo) very stimulating.

I'll agree that it can be boring to start at the beginning - the beginning is usually rather dry (vectors or a review of basic algebra required etc.) but I think of you jump in most places you'll find something of interest pretty quickly.

Optics might be a fun place to start.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes how particles behave and interact with each other through principles such as superposition and entanglement.

2. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a set of two theories, special relativity and general relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. These theories describe the laws of physics in different reference frames and explain the relationship between space and time.

3. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. It does not interact with light and cannot be detected through traditional means, but its presence can be inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

4. What is the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s and later confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012. It is responsible for giving particles mass and plays a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter "c", is a constant value in the universe that is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is significant because it is the fastest speed at which energy, information, or matter can travel, and it plays a fundamental role in many physical theories, including Einstein's theory of relativity.