Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interfacing with uCs class geared toward simple physics experiments

1. Aug 29, 2016 #1
    Hey guys,
    So this is what actually made me join today. We are taking a interfacing class were most of us students don't even know how to code. However, I currently work in one of the research groups under the professor who is running the class, he gave me the assignment to figure out what parts we would need for the students and to order it, so ive taught myself python and have been tinkering for about two weeks now. I would like to ask you guys if you think the items I got will suffice for a "starting to interfacing" kit for students, and, what I should do with my experiment(s).
    Items:
    Raspi 3
    Arduino mega 2560
    piTFT 2.8
    37 in 1 sensor kit
    hdmi to dvi
    usb to usb-b
    charger

For the experiments we are suppose to conduct for the class, it only has to be physics based. And I have no idea what to do. Open to any and all suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I'm having trouble understanding the term "interfacing" in this context. Do you mean "introduction to microcontroller (uC) applications"? That's what your parts list looks like. And the students will be programming the uCs in Python?

EDIT -- Thread title edited after clarification by the OP below.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Aug 29, 2016 #3
    We will basically use the raspis as a data entry point and use it to control the arduinos. We need to set up some experiment and describe the physics also. I was thinking I could take a big experiment from the past and automate it in a simpler way. Im not sure which one I would want to choose though because we were just assigned this today.
    And yes, python was the suggested language.

5. Aug 29, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, you could research how a fingertip pulse oximeter works, and implement it using the uCs...

You basically want some sort of IO sensor(s), and have the uCs do some processing, and have an output either to the screen or via some actuator or other display. BTW, in your parts list, I didn't see a keyboard, mouse and display. Are those just available in the lab, so you don't need to separately purchase them?

6. Sep 4, 2016 #5
    Yes those will be supplied

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted