1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference at a single wavelength

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question relating to the interference at a single frequency? Does this statement mean that the intereference has occured between two waves which are completely in phase? I also have a question regarding if two waves which are not in phase but do not cause complete destruction or construction ie they are out of phase by a 1/2 a wavelength for example would the still interact and produce a new wavelength?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi physical101! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I suspect you're thinking of beats, for example in sound waves, when two nearby frequencies are added.

No, a single frequency stays at that frequency.

Asinωt + Bsin(ωt+φ) = (A + Bcosφ)sinωt + Bsinφcosωt,

which is a multiple of sin(ωt+ψ), where tanψ = Bsinφ/(A + Bcosφ) :wink:
  4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    so would I be correct in thinking that when a journal/literature states that intereference has occured at a single frequency that the resultant wave would be increased in amplitude due to total constructive intereference? What I am trying to clarify is that when they state that interference has occured at a single frequency that the interefering waves were of the same frequency to begin with? Sorry if im not making much sense
  5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi physical101! :wink:

No, you're making complete sense: that's exactly correct.

Constructive interference starts with the same frequency it finishes with (and so does destructive interference). Only the amplitude (and maybe the phase) changes. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook