Interference broadcast transmitter help

In summary, in order for the airplane's receiver to stay directly in line with the runway, two radio transmitters need to be placed 50m apart and broadcast the same frequency with a difference of phase of π. This will create a nodal line for destructive interference, allowing for a warning beep if the plane drifts off course. To achieve sufficient accuracy, the first intensity maxima must be 60 m on either side of the nodal line at a distance of 3.0 km, which can be achieved by using ΔL/λ=0,1,2... at the bisection.
ScienceMonkey
Need some help getting started...

Two radio transmitters are placed 50 m apart on either side of a runway. The two transmitters will broadcast the same frequency, but out of phase with each other. This will cause a nodal line to extend straight off the end of the runway. As long as the airplane's receiver is silent, the pilot knows she's directly in line with the runway. If she drifts to one side or the other, the radio will pick up a signal and sound a warning beep. To have sufficient accuracy, the first intensity maxima needs to be 60 m on either side of the nodal line at a distance of 3.0 km. What frequency should you specify for the transmitters?

I know that there will need to be completely destructive waves. And for that, ΔL/λ=0.5, 1.5, 2.5... But in order for her to be directly in line with the runway, ΔL=0, so this would not be true. Also, I think this, ΔL/λ=0.5, 1.5, 2.5, is only true when Φ=0, 2π, 4π, etc., but Φ will need to be equal to π for being completely out of phase. I can't see how knowing this helps because ΔL to be directly in line with the runway would still be equal to zero, or is my thinking completely flawed? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceMonkey said:
Need some help getting started...

Two radio transmitters are placed 50 m apart on either side of a runway. The two transmitters will broadcast the same frequency, but out of phase with each other. This will cause a nodal line to extend straight off the end of the runway. As long as the airplane's receiver is silent, the pilot knows she's directly in line with the runway. If she drifts to one side or the other, the radio will pick up a signal and sound a warning beep. To have sufficient accuracy, the first intensity maxima needs to be 60 m on either side of the nodal line at a distance of 3.0 km. What frequency should you specify for the transmitters?

I know that there will need to be completely destructive waves. And for that, ΔL/λ=0.5, 1.5, 2.5... But in order for her to be directly in line with the runway, ΔL=0, so this would not be true. Also, I think this, ΔL/λ=0.5, 1.5, 2.5, is only true when Φ=0, 2π, 4π, etc.,
:

That`s right. But if you give a difference of phase of Pi between the emitters, then the bisecting line going through the point exactly between them will be a line of destructive interference...a minimu. which is what you want here. In a case like this, the usual formla for ΔL/λ are switched. You will have *maxima* for ΔL/λ=0.5, 1.5, 2.5... (because the difference of path will cancel the difference if phase of the emitter, giving constructive interference.)

Hope this helps

Pat

but Φ will need to be equal to π for being completely out of phase. I can't see how knowing this helps because ΔL to be directly in line with the runway would still be equal to zero, or is my thinking completely flawed? :confused:

So that means that what was normally constructive, (ΔL/λ=0,1,2...) will now be completely destructive since the transmitters are out of phase? So I could still use ΔL/λ=0,1,2... at the bisection?

it's a bisector ... the ΔL = 0 ! What you want is the first CONSTRUCTIVE angle, right next to the bisector.

ScienceMonkey said:
So that means that what was normally constructive, (ΔL/λ=0,1,2...) will now be completely destructive since the transmitters are out of phase? So I could still use ΔL/λ=0,1,2... at the bisection?
At the bisection, ΔL is still equal to 0, obviously. The point is that the condition for constructive vs destructive is switched compared to the case of emitters in phase. So the points where ΔL/λ=0,1,2... correspond to destructive interference now (as opposed to the more usual case).

1. What is an interference broadcast transmitter?

An interference broadcast transmitter is a device that is used to transmit radio signals over a wide area. It is typically used to broadcast radio programs, music, and other types of audio content. It can also be used for emergency broadcasts and public announcements.

2. How does an interference broadcast transmitter work?

An interference broadcast transmitter works by converting audio signals into radio waves, which are then transmitted through an antenna. The antenna sends out these radio waves in all directions, allowing them to be picked up by radios within the transmitter's range.

3. What are the common causes of interference with broadcast transmitters?

There are several factors that can cause interference with broadcast transmitters. These include strong electromagnetic fields, other competing radio signals, faulty equipment, and environmental factors such as weather conditions.

4. How can interference with a broadcast transmitter be reduced?

Interference with a broadcast transmitter can be reduced by using proper antenna placement, using high-quality equipment, and using frequency coordination to avoid conflicting signals. Regular maintenance and troubleshooting can also help identify and resolve any potential sources of interference.

5. What are the potential risks of interference with broadcast transmitters?

Interference with broadcast transmitters can disrupt the transmission of important information, such as emergency broadcasts. It can also cause inconvenience for listeners and potentially harm the credibility of the broadcaster. In extreme cases, interference can even cause damage to the equipment or affect the safety of those operating it.