Amplitude at the point of interference

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the amplitude of a resultant wave at a specific point (200, 800) on a 2-dimensional grid, given two out-of-phase radio antennas emitting waves of frequency 2.59 MHz. The amplitude can be determined using the equations c = √(a2+b2), Δφ = 2π(Δx/λ), and D(x,t) = A sin(kx – ωt + ϕ0), where c is the speed of light, Δφ is the phase difference between the two antennas, Δx is the distance from each antenna to the point, λ is the wavelength, k is the wave number, ω is the angular frequency, and
JohnLCC517

Homework Statement

[/B]
Consider 2 radio antennas placed on a 2 dimensional grid at points x1 = (300,0) and x2 = (-300, 0). If the antennas are out of phase such that ϕ2-ϕ1 = π/4 and both are emitting waves of frequency 2.59 MHz. What will the amplitude of the resultant wave be at the point (200, 800)? Radio waves being a form of light travel at a speed of 3x108 m/s. You may assume at the point of interference that the two waves have the same amplitude and you may leave your final answer in terms of this amplitude.

Homework Equations

c = √(a2+b2) , Δφ = 2π(Δx/λ) , D(x,t) = A sin(kx – ωt + ϕ0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I began this problem by getting the distance from x1 and x2 to the point (200, 800). The results I got were as follows;
From x1 = 943.4
From x2 = 806.2
I would use these values as my displacement values.

Following that I used the formula Δφ = 2π(Δx/λ) to determine the wavelength;
Δφ = 2π(Δx/λ) → λ = 2π(Δx/Δφ)
From x1
λ = 2π(500/(π/4)) = 4000
From x2
λ = 2π(100/(π/4)) = 800

This allowed me to get the wave number via k = 2π/λ.
x1 wave number k = 2π/4000 = 0.0016
x2 wave number k = 2π/800 = 0.0079

To get the angular frequency ω I used the formula ω = 2π⋅f.
x1 ω = 2π⋅f = 2π(2.59) = 16.27
x1 ω = 2π⋅f = 2π(2.59) = 16.27

My phase constants used were;
φ1 = 0
φ2 = π/4

And this is as far as I was able to get. I still need to find the Amplitude of the resultant wave but am left with the time variable t still unsolved. My initial thought would be to take A sin(kx – ωt + ϕ0) of each wave, set the two sides equal to each other, drop the Amplitude because they will be the same and will therefore cancel, and solve for time in this formula but I am not sure if this is an appropriate way to approach this. Perhaps the time value t doesn't matter because the waves will intersect that point at the same time and have the same angular frequency so the values will be identical. I suppose what I'm looking for is a nudge in the right direction to ensure that I'm thinking about this in the right way.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnLCC517 said:
Following that I used the formula Δφ = 2π(Δx/λ) to determine the wavelength;
in that formula, what, exactly, do the phase difference and ##\Delta x## represent? Does that fit with the given phase difference and path difference you calculated?
What other information is available to you to find wavelength?

1. What is Amplitude at the point of interference?

Amplitude at the point of interference refers to the maximum displacement or distance a wave travels from its rest position at the point where two or more waves intersect.

2. How is Amplitude at the point of interference calculated?

Amplitude at the point of interference is calculated by adding the amplitudes of each individual wave at the point of intersection. This can be done by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total displacement at any point is the sum of the individual displacements caused by each wave.

3. What happens when waves with equal amplitudes interfere?

When waves with equal amplitudes interfere, the resulting amplitude at the point of interference will be double the amplitude of each individual wave. This is known as constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger displacement.

4. Can waves with different amplitudes interfere with each other?

Yes, waves with different amplitudes can interfere with each other. In this case, the resulting amplitude will be the difference between the two individual amplitudes. This is known as destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create a smaller displacement.

5. How does the distance between waves affect Amplitude at the point of interference?

The distance between waves does not directly affect the amplitude at the point of interference. However, the distance between waves can affect the phase difference between them, which can result in different types of interference and ultimately affect the amplitude at the point of interference.