1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference in 2D (wavefronts)

1. Jul 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The figure shows the circular wave fronts emitted by two wave sources.

Make a table with rows labeled P, Q, and R and columns labeled r1, r2, [tex]\Delta[/tex]r, and C/D. Fill in the table for points P, Q, and R, giving the distances as multiples of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and indicating, with a C or a D, whether the interference at that point is constructive or destructive

2. Relevant equations
    no real formula, given, just count the rings in the wave front pattern

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i got mostly everything except r2 for P and R...im thinking it should be 7/2[tex]\lambda[/tex] for both, but apparently its not...what am i doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to Physics forums.

Is the distance from "2" to the smallest ring equal to λ or λ/2?

What did you get for r2 and Q, that was verified as correct?

4. Jul 11, 2009 #3
    thanks a lot redbelly...i cant believe i missed that, but i do have another question regarding this question. I can see that the 2 sources are out of phase but the only explanation that I can give is that 2 in-phase sources emit circular or spherical waves and these 2 dont. Is that correct?

5. Jul 11, 2009 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not quite, out-of-phase point sources emit circular or spherical waves as well. It's just a matter of accounting for that phase difference when figuring out where there's constructive or destructive interference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook