1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Wave Fronts Emitted by Two Wave Sources

1. Jun 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1383558/3/21.EX26.jpg

Make a table with rows labeled P, Q, and R and columns labeled r1, r2, Δr, and C/D. Fill in the table for points P, Q, and R, giving the distances as multiples of λ and indicating, with a C or a D, whether the interference at that point is constructive or destructive.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I am not entirely sure I am doing this right. I have two attempts and used one. Can someone help me with this?

Here's my new answer

R1 R2 Δr C/D
    P 2λ 3λ λ C
    Q 3λ 2λ λ D
    R 2.5 3λ 0.5λ C

Would you say this is correct?

Sorry, the graph is out of place. idk how to forumat

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2016 #2
    Surely the distances can only be integer multiples of λ if they lie on the circles?

4. Jun 18, 2016 #3
    I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. Care to elaborate?

5. Jun 18, 2016 #4
    Well, it looks like the circles are evenly spaced so presumably they are spaced at a distance of one wavelength from each other.

6. Jun 18, 2016 #5

Oh yes I now understand. Yeah, they are spaced evenly. My problem is more along the lines of whether I counted right or not. I just wanted an outside confirmation

7. Jun 18, 2016 #6
    There are a couple of errors, for example, R2 for P which is why I was making the point about integer multiples lying on the circles. You should also take another look at the C/D column.

8. Jun 18, 2016 #7
    So should R2 be 3.5? Because that was what I initially thought but my answer choices lack a 3.5

Also, I'm not sure about anything regarding the C/D column

9. Jun 18, 2016 #8
    Ah, looking at the diagram again, I think 3 might actually be correct. If you look at the first circle around 2 it seems to be around half the radius of 1 so I'd assume that the circles about 2 are 0.5λ, 1.5λ, 2.5λ... So you should probably take another look at R2 for Q.

10. Jun 18, 2016 #9

So R2 for Q would be 1 as opposed to 2?

11. Jun 18, 2016 #10
    The first circle appears to be 0.5λ away from 2, each other one appears to be spaced 1λ apart.

12. Jun 18, 2016 #11

So 1.5?

13. Jun 18, 2016 #12
    I think that'd be correct. As for the C/D column, if these circles are one wavelength apart then the circles must represent unique points on the wave over one wavelength. If you consider a sine/cosine curve over one wavelength you can see that all values of y appear for 2 values of x with the exception of the peak and the trough, therefore the circles must represent either a peak or a trough. If you imagine the peaks to be at the circles then the troughs should be mid way between the circles.

14. Jun 19, 2016 #13
    Okay I've updated. Mind telling me if this is sound?

R1 R2. Chng. R c/d
    P. 2. 3. 1. C
    Q. 3. 1.5. 1.5. D
    R. 2.5. 3. 0.5. D

15. Jun 24, 2016 #14
    Sorry, didn't see that you'd responded. You've probably submitted your solution by now, but just incase you're still on it, I think that everything is correct except for the C/D column. If the circles represent peaks then, for example, with P it's on a peak for 1 and a trough for 2 causing destructive interference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted