1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference in Thin Films, figuring out the phases

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't have a question on a specific problem, I am more caught up in the determination of the phases- I'll give a general problem to use as an example:

In Fig. 35-41, light is incident perpendicularly on a thin layer of material 2 that lies between (thicker) materials 1 and 3. The waves of rays r1 and r2 interfere, and here we consider the type of interference to be either maximum (max) or minimum (min). We are given:

n1=1.32
    n2=1.75
    n3=1.39
    we want to find a max
    for the 3rd least thickness of L (in nm)
    λ=382nm (in air)

Figure: nt0043-y.gif

rays are tilted for clarity

2. Relevant equations
    Since we want a maximum, the general equation for a maximum would be:
    2L=(m+1/2)λ/n2

3. The attempt at a solution

in the case of this problem, we add an additional λ/2 for the incidence of r1 on n2.
    so my real question is this-

why is it that you multiply m by 2 to end up with 2m+1 in this case? when do you just use (m+1)λ vs (2m+1/2)λ

I've been reading and researching for hours now, so any help would truly be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

High-speed to slow speed you get a phase inversion.
    http://www.kettering.edu/physics/drussell/Demos/reflect/reflect.html [Broken]
    ... it has neat animations of the effect for string, you have to scroll down for the general.

That 2m+1 gives you an odd number - do you see why an odd number is needed?

The trick is to try drawing a wave as it propagates through the film. What happens if it's an even number?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook