A problem about thin-film interference

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a transparent film with specific thickness and refractive index. The question is to find the order of interference at a certain angle and the first four angles at which red light will form bright light fringes. The conversation includes equations and an attempted solution, with the conclusion that the textbook may have made a mistake in the formula for path difference. After correcting for this, the correct answers are determined to be 100 for the order of interference and 5.73°, 9.94°, 12.84°, and 15.20° for the first four angles.
Aurora_b
1. Problem Statement:

A transparent film has thickness 0.00325 cm, refractive index= 1.4. Find

a) order of interference at theta=0° and
b) the first four angles at which red light 6500 A will form bright light fringes.

Ans:[ a)-100 ; b) - 5.73°, 9.94°, 12.84°, 15.20°]
Now this question seems quite simple but my answers aren't matching no matter what way I am using, obviously I am doing something wrong. Please help me out.2. Equations used:

Path difference = 2*n*d* cos(φ)

Where φ is the angle of refraction,
n is the refractive index,
d is the thickness.

Condition for constructive interference: (2m+1)* λ/2 (since there is a 180° phase change due to reflection)
3. Attempt at a solution :

a) for order of interference i simply did
m= path difference/λ
= [2*1.4*0.0000325]/[6500 * 10^(-10)] {Converting to meters}
=140
(Now i don't know why the given answer is 100

b) well the answers I am getting are bizarre so please help me out.

I used the formula for constructive interference.

2*n*d*cos Φ = (2m +1)*λ/2
Cos Φ = [(2m +1)*λ/2]/[2*n*d]

After putting the necessary values, the values of Φ i was getting were something like
for m=0, 89.9
for m=1, 99.317
etc

(Now when they say the first four angles in the question do they mean angle of incidence or the refraction angle or what? Because the above angles were for Φ which is angle of refraction.)

(This is a question from fundamentals of optics by Jenkins and white, Chapter 14, question 14.1)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181121-200414.png
    Screenshot_20181121-200414.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) Maybe they missed out n in the formula for path difference. That would give 100. Textbooks can make mistakes.
b) Don't start putting in m = 0, 1... For angles close to 0, cos φ ≈ 1. So look for the first value of m (descending from high m) for which cos φ < 1. If their value of 100 for part a is right (let's assume so to see where they get their answers), the first value of cos φ is 199/200, which corresponds to φ = 5.73°.

Likes Aurora_b
mjc123 said:
a) Maybe they missed out n in the formula for path difference. That would give 100. Textbooks can make mistakes.
b) Don't start putting in m = 0, 1... For angles close to 0, cos φ ≈ 1. So look for the first value of m (descending from high m) for which cos φ < 1. If their value of 100 for part a is right (let's assume so to see where they get their answers), the first value of cos φ is 199/200, which corresponds to φ = 5.73°.
Thank you so much. I was really stuck. But we definitely need to put the n right? That must be a mistake in the book then. Thank you.

You either need to multiply the path length by n or divide the (vacuum) wavelength by n (which amounts to the same thing) to get the number of wavelengths (in the film) that the light travels in the film.

1. What is thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves reflect off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film, causing interference patterns to form. This can result in unique colors or patterns being observed in the film.

2. How does thin-film interference work?

Thin-film interference works by reflecting light waves off of the top and bottom surfaces of a thin film. These waves combine and interfere with each other, creating a new wave with a different amplitude and wavelength. Depending on the thickness of the film and the angle of the incident light, different colors or patterns can be observed.

3. What factors affect thin-film interference?

The thickness of the film, the angle of incidence of the light, and the refractive index of the film and surrounding medium are all factors that affect thin-film interference. These variables determine the path length difference of the reflected light waves, which ultimately determines the resulting interference pattern.

4. What are some real-world applications of thin-film interference?

Thin-film interference has many practical applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on eyeglasses, optical filters for cameras and microscopes, and the vibrant colors seen on soap bubbles and oil slicks. It is also used in technologies such as solar cells, LCD screens, and optical data storage devices.

5. How is thin-film interference related to the colors we see in nature?

The colors we see in nature, such as the vibrant hues of butterfly wings or the iridescence of peacock feathers, are often a result of thin-film interference. The thickness and structure of the natural material produce unique interference patterns, resulting in the observed colors. This phenomenon is also responsible for the colorful displays of light in the sky, such as rainbows and halos.