Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet connection issue in Linux

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My (new*) linux system is having trouble connecting to most websites. Originally I thought it was a DNS issue, because I can connect to some websites (Google, thanks goodness, and physicsforums of course), but now I'm not sure.

What do you think this is? Is it me, my connection, or an Internet-wide disruption? (Amusingly, I can't access http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ .) Is there anything I can do?

* Thanks again to those on this and other boards who helped me set this computer up!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, I was able to resolve my issue (most of the way) just by using a VPN to connect. I'm still curious as to the source of the problem, but I guess that suggests a problem with either my VPN (changing settings that make it hard to connect normally) or a local outage (avoided when I go through the VPN).

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

You can easily check if it's a DNS issue by:
    1) ping (trace) your DNS server and check for disrupted packages.
    2) Look up the IP addresses of the websites you can't access using someone else's computer. Then try to access the website directly from its IP. If you can you have a DNS problem.
    If you can connect to google then you don't have a TCP/IP problem. Maybe your IP tables are corrupted? Maybe your firewall isn't configured properly? What error message do you get when you can't access a website?
    You didn't really give us any information to work with so I can only guess.

5. Apr 5, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I could ping my DNS server just fine. I was able to find some IP addresses but couldn't actually tell if that worked (funny, I know): the sites that I tried didn't load, as such, but they found the IP address and then choked on a redirect. Still, I think the issue was not a DNS problem but something else, probably something caused by installing, turning on, or turning off my VPN (since that's the only network-related thing I've changed recently).

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    Hi friend,
    I had the same trouble in this issue. The problem is DNS servers on your "resolv.conf" file.
    If you go to /etc/resolv.conf, and then add this line into it, It probably works.
    or you can use free services such as OpenDNS
    Sorry for my poor Engish,
    I hope this works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook