Internship/research project topics in Physics

In summary, the Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search allows students to use their laboratory for a fee and offers scholarships for research projects. Students are allowed to work independently or in groups with various instruments. The website provides a list of available instruments and states that students can plan and carry out research under the guidance of faculty members. The conversation also discusses the process of choosing a research topic and suggests asking professors or scientists at the lab for recommendations. The speaker also shares their personal opinion that spectroscopy is a fun aspect of lab experiments.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I recently found that Jagadis Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS), (located in Kolkata near my house) allows students to use their laboratory for a fee. Moreover, I have received a scholarship from them, and as a consequence, they will let me do anything I like in their lab provided that they have the instruments and I let them know in advance.

While I have an option of doing small experiments, like I generally perform at home on topics like Diffraction and electronics, I want to utilise the opportunity by doing some research work.

On their https://www.jbnsts.org/lab.php, they have wtitten this:

Sudents are allowed to plan and carry out research work for their projects under the guidance of different faculty members of JBNSTS and from other institutions. During this session, students are allowed to work independently / group with several instruments such as, Source Measuring Unit, Metallurgical Microscope, Biological Microscopes, Scanning Tunneling Microscope, micro Centrifuge, UV-VIS, Spectrophotometer, Millican Oil-drop Experimental setup etc.

Can you recommend good topics for research? It should preferably be on optics, electronics, spectroscopy and similar topics.

I know that I can't start with anything directly without reading literature and research papers that scientists have already written. Hence, I want to keep some time in hand and start early, so that I can do the experiments by next year.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
My guess would be that the professors would be the ones to assign relevant topics for you to explore. If that is the case go ask them.

If it is not, I do still advise you to ask some scientists there if you are going for real research. It is hard to know what exactly is interesting enough yet easy enough to delve into. These people there have experience in choosing topics. Yet if you are just interested in something and want to go deeper into it without the whole publishing thing, then it should be easy enough to find something that interests you and is available for them.

Personally, I think that spectroscopy is one of the more fun sides of lab experiments. Highly recommended.
Hope this helps!

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What kind of internships or research projects are available in Physics?

There are a wide variety of internships and research projects available in Physics. Some popular areas of study include astrophysics, quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and particle physics. Other options may include research in specific fields such as materials science, biophysics, or nuclear physics. It is important to do some research and find a project that aligns with your interests and career goals.

2. How can I find internship/research opportunities in Physics?

One way to find internship or research opportunities in Physics is to reach out to professors or researchers at universities or research institutions. Many universities also have career centers or departments dedicated to helping students find internships or research projects. Additionally, websites such as the American Physical Society and the National Science Foundation offer resources for finding internships and research opportunities in Physics.

3. What qualifications do I need for an internship/research project in Physics?

The qualifications for internships and research projects in Physics will vary depending on the specific opportunity. Generally, a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science is necessary. Some projects may also require knowledge of programming languages or specific software. It is important to carefully read the requirements and qualifications for each opportunity to determine if you are a good fit.

4. Can I apply for an internship/research project in Physics if I am not a Physics major?

Yes, many internships and research projects in Physics are open to students from a variety of majors. However, some projects may have specific requirements or prefer applicants with a background in Physics or a related field. It is important to carefully read the requirements for each opportunity and highlight any relevant coursework or skills in your application.

5. What are the benefits of participating in an internship/research project in Physics?

Participating in an internship or research project in Physics can have many benefits. It allows you to gain hands-on experience in a specific area of study, develop practical skills, and make connections with professionals in the field. It also looks impressive on a resume and can help you decide if a career in Physics is right for you.